Monday, November 28, 2005

Sometimes you hear things that you don’t want to hear.

Saturday I was doing some shopping and while I was putting my groceries away there was this guy looking at me. Or at least I thought he was looking at me. Silly me, why on earth would he be looking at me ;) Actually he was looking at the people standing next to me. As it turned out they knew each other. After said their cheery hello’s, the woman couldn’t restrain herself. She just had to get one or two things of her chest or she would burst. So out came the gossip.

She was talking about a couple who had recently split-up. This other guy seemed to know that couple too, so he was really shocked to hear the news. According to him they were a cute couple, they looked like they belonged together. Evidently they did not, they were no longer together. The gossip continued. As it turned out the guy was still living in the house which they once had occupied together with their kids. The woman had left with the kids. Conclusion from the gossipers: The wife had done the dirty and was forced to leave.

The gossip continued (I will spare you the gory details :þ) and during this gossip rally the names of this unfortunate couple were mentioned. Shock, horror, amazement! I know these people they were talking about. How weird is that? And what’s even weirder… the story they were telling was totally untrue. I sort of know why they have split-up and that has nothing to do with the things they were talking about. I really had to restrain myself now; I was almost on the verge of saying things I probably shouldn’t say. So I gathered my things together and left the store, feeling weird and confused. This was actually the first time ever that I heard people unknown to me gossip about people I know and that was something I didn’t wanted to hear. And I’m not that naïve, I know this sort of thing has been around for ages, but that doesn’t mean I want to hear it.

4 comments:

Phil said...

What a strange story, what are the chances of that happening? Maybe they looked good together, but that was it.
Gossip, as tempting as it is, is a hurtful thing.

Wadda ya mean why would
he be looking at you....

Dakota said...

Gossip is just evil. I love this quote I found:
“Be impeccable with your words. Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using words to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your words in the direction of truth and love.”

On the other matter. I didn’t mean that much with it actually. I don’t have problems with me self-image or self-esteem. Matter-of-factly I know this guys who says I do have a problem with that, according to him I have way to much confidence :) Oh well, that is just the opinion of one guy.

Phil said...

You can never have too good of an opinion of yourself I think. You seem like you can back it up.

Dakota said...

Oh, look what you have done now…..I am blushing to the roots of my hair ;)

And I agree, one can never have a too good of an opinion itself. Sadly, I know a few people who might disagree with that, but that’s not my problem.