Monday, November 07, 2005

Simmered Pears

After an afternoon of garden work yesterday, I felt I was in for a real treat. So for dinner I made Simmered pears with roasted potatoes and a nice piece of grilled chicken. While I was preparing my pears I wondered: Do they eat this in other countries too or is this a typical Dutch side dish? I don’t know the answer to this, so if there is anyone out there in blogland who can answer this question, it will be much appreciated.

How do you make Simmered pears? You peal the skin of 8 cooking pears (this serves 2) don’t remove the stem, don’t cut them. You empty a bottle of red wine in a pan, add approximately 10 dessertspoons (or as much as you like) sugar, a cinnamonstick, some rind of a lemon and bring this to the boil. When the sugar is dissolved, you turn down the heat, add the pears and let this simmer for about 1½ - 2 hours or until the pears are deep red. You can eat them hot and cold.

As said, you can eat this as a side dish but you can also make a nice dessert out of it with some mascarpone or vanilla ice-cream and Port-wine.

2 comments:

Kid Ric said...

Wow that sure sounds yummy. Here in Maryland, USA we don't eat simmered pears. My mouth is watering. I'm going to try to cook some up. Thanks for recipe.

Peace, love and light.

Dakota said...

It’s delicious and easy to make. Just make sure you use cooking pears, if you use regular pears you end up with pear sauce or pear pulp…. That happened to me once :)

Enjoy!