Wednesday, November 09, 2005

A pointy story about needles.

A few days ago, I suddenly felt the urge to knit. At first I was very confused; knitting is such an old people’s thing, isn’t it? Then I felt a little worried, was the Change sneaking up on me? Was I definitely getting ready for the dustbin, the old peoples home? Noooooo! My worst nightmare was not going to become a reality! Not yet anyway! I know for a fact that knitting is very popular worldwide, even famous people took up knitting, so why shouldn’t I knit.

It al started the other day when I saw a nice scarf in a shop. I looked at the pricetag and I was plain and simply, shocked. How dare they ask that price just for a machine made scarf. So a plan formed in my head. All I needed was some yarn and a couple of needles and I could make that scarf myself.

I found the yarn pretty quick, but the knitting needles were a bigger problem. I knew I had needles in my house somewhere. When I found them, it turned out that I did not possess the needles I needed. Stubborn as I am, I tried the ones I had and surprise, surprise that did not work. I did not end up with a scarf but with a plank. That might come in handy if you need an extra bookshelf, but not if you want a scarf. Conclusion: I need some new needles.

After my shop fiasco last Saturday, I went a bit reluctantly to the shops. My mind was all clouded with dark thoughts. Probably I would end up with yarn and no needles. Just my luck! While I was walking to shops the dark clouds disappeared, well in my head at least. I couldn’t say the same thing about the sky. There, they seemed to multiply, but that is autumn in Holland. Luckily I had reached the shopping centre when it started to rain.

Okay needles, here I am, come to mamma! I went in the first shop: no knitting needles. Second, third, fourth and fifth shop: same result. The dark clouds in my head came back! Oh no, this was not happing to me…. again! Time for coffee and a quick think. How weird was this, all the shop I visited sold yarn but no needles. Why? What else can you do with yarn? I just didn’t understand it. But back to the knitting needles-story. Someone must have been cunning enough to fill this needle void, so there just had to be a shop. While I was sipping my coffee, I suddenly realised that there was one shop I had not tried yet. In one of the backstreets there is this shop which sells all sort of sewing supplies. Maybe, just maybe they were cunning enough to supply the knitting junkies. And they were clever enough. They had my needles….. woohoo!

I told the shoplady enthusiastically that she just made my day! We had a fun chat and as I left the shop she told me that I just made her day, too. Fun and happiness can be found in the smallest of things.

And now I’m off…… knitting :)

2 comments:

Kid Ric said...

Goes to show perseverance does pay off. I could use a nice hand knitted scarf for this winter. Smile.

Peace, love and light.

Dakota said...

Hahahaha, I have to finish mine first and I’ll need some perseverance for that too. :)