Thursday, November 03, 2005

Playing the observation game.

Sometimes when I’m, for example, on a train, plane or other form of public transport for hours, I get bored out of my mind. By then I’ve read all my magazines/ the paper, listened to the music I like most and watched the world go by. What to do next? Let me think...aha got it.... It is time to observe the people around me. Certainly there must be someone interesting? And there always is! The next step is to strike up a conversation…..NOT, because that will ruin the game. The less you know about the other person, the better! I just observe them, look at their bodylanguage, and notice what they are doing, watch their behavior, make a mental note of their clothes, eavesdrop a little and then it's time; let the game begin!

When the picture in my mind is complete, I close my eyes and make up a whole story about them. I fantasize about who they are, where they are going and why. And the fun thing is, you can make the story as complicated and long as you want. It’s cool!

Most of the time, you never know if the things you dream up are correct, but that is part of the charm. And sometimes you get the rest of the story totally by accident. I was on a train one day and there was a girl who looked head over heals in love but also pretty worried. I noticed her because she radiated a really weird vibe. So I dreamed up a story about how she met this guy and fell in love with him, but she was still in a relationship with another guy. She was now on her way to break up with the last guy and then she would take the train back to see the new guy. Of course this is the short story; in my head it was much longer. I had even dreamed up how the guys looked. Much to my surprise she got off the train at the same stop as me.

I was meeting someone at the station and so I sat down on a bench. The girl sat down on the bench opposite mine, she was waiting too. The longer I sat there, the more curious I became. Suddenly a guy turned up, he tried to kiss her but she just turned her head away and hugged him instead. He picked up her bag and wanted to leave the station, but instead of leaving she sat down again. The guy had no other choice then to sit down beside her and they started talking. Much to my surprise, she was really breaking-up with this guy. And I was not eavesdropping, they were talking very loud :). She gave him all sorts of reasons for the break-up, but they sounded not very convincing, at least not to my ears. A few minutes later the guy had heard enough, he threw the bag in her lap and exited the building the same moment my friend entered. We hugged, talked for a while and turned around to walk out. At that precise moment a guy entered, he ran past us and as I looked over my shoulder he hugged the girl and kissed her. They were absolutely glowing. Man, I was right this time, even the guys looked like I thought they would. Okay I was wrong about her taking the train back. But all in all, how weird was this?

But I hope I’m not always right, and most of the time I don’t know the outcome and that is fine by me. Just making up absurd stories is much more fun. And you can play this game everywhere, in the bus, in a waiting room, at a restaurant when you see two people together who shouldn’t be together. And you can play this game alone but also with friends. Just try it sometimes, maybe you like it. Need some practice; make up a story about the guy in the picture :)

Oh, one tip! If you play this game in a restaurant, please don't close your eyes when you are making up the story. Who knows, maybe someone will find that weird and makes up a whole story about you.


No comments: