Tuesday, November 01, 2005

I just don’t understand it!


About four years ago, I met this woman on the Net and we really connected. We started mailing each other on a regular basis and we became pen palls or email-palls, I guess that’s the more modern word for it. We have shared problems, laughter, fun stuff, break ups, death, tears and joy. Actually we shared all the stuff that goes on in our lives.

Recently she got diagnosed with leukaemia. It is not the worst kind you can get. She’s on medication for now and hopefully she will not need chemo and maybe she still has a whole life ahead of her, but the news was a big shock. So I tried to call her the moment I got her email. How weird, the number was disconnected, so I had to mail her instead and I did. I told her how I felt, that I was thinking of her and that I would be there for her. I also told her about my phone call. She replied immediately (she was at work). She had problems with her cellphone but we could still send mail to each other.

But there was a little problem with that, too. For the first time in ages she had no computer at home and no internet hook-up. She could only mail me from work. Hmmz…that is soooo strange. This girl practically lived via the Net. So I read the remainder of her last mail and soon enough it became all clear to me.


About a year ago she met the “new love of her live” via the Net and this guy is a real jerk. I know this, because she told me all about it. Only she does not see it that way…she still sees everything through her pink lovey-dovey glasses. Okay to be honest, he is not a total jerk, he is good to her (sometimes) but he is extremely jealous. From the moment he entered her live he has taken over her live. He decides who she sees, talks to and have contact with. He sabotages her cellphone sometimes; he makes sure she can’t access the Net and regulates who she meets but most importantly who she not meets. She has lost a lot of friends this year and will probably lose a lot more of them because this guy wants to move to another city, away from all her friends and away from the place she has lived for the past 20 years or so.

And this is the part I don’t understand. She needs all the support she can get right now. Why does he want to isolate her? Why is this guy so insecure? Dude, wake up….. let her chose her own path, her own friends and let her enjoy the rest of her life, who knows how short or how long (hopefully) it’s going be.

No comments: