Friday, November 25, 2005

Its ‘I've learned’ – Friday again!

I’ve learned – That I don’t have an all time favourite song.

Is that important? No, its not! So, why blog about it then? I don’t know, I have to blog about something, don’t I? It’s just something I’ve been thinking about this past few days.

I listen to a Dutch Radio show (Working Vitamins) every morning. They play a mixture of music I like, mostly ’80s, ’90s and recent hits. During the last hour there is always a famous guest in the studio. They have a chat about their latest single, movie, book or whatever and at the end of every chat there is always the same question ‘what is your all time favourite song?’ Most guests have really brilliant favourites. So earlier this week I started to think about this, what if someone would ask me that question, what would be my answer? And I honestly don’t know and that is pretty silly isn’t it.

I listen to music a lot and I have a lot of favourite band and songs, but what makes a song an absolute favourite. Is it measured by the amount of goose bumps, memories, recognition or is it just the sing-along factor. I just don’t know. Do you?

But as I said earlier, I do have favourite songs and here are just 10 songs (in random order) I really love:

Be my number Two – Joe Jackson
I can’t make you love me – Bonnie Raitt
Michel – Anouk
Let it Be – Kane
Leave the light on – Beth Hart
Till Kingdom come - Coldplay
See you when you’re 40 – Dido
Snowflakes – Angie Stone
I still haven’t found what I’m looking for – U2
Photograph – Jamie Cullum

I could go on and on, but I won’t bore you with that. But I’m curious; do you have an absolute favourite song of all time? And why is it your favourite song? If you’re willing to share, you can leave a message in the comment section (Duh!). And…….Yes, I’m nosy, I know! :)

3 comments:

Phil said...

I don't have an favorite song. I like a lot of different types of music and I like so many songs. so I don't know why I'm posting here because you wanted to know my favorite song and why.... Well, this came to mind. It's very romatic, that's why I like it.

THAT'S ALL
I can only give you love that lasts forever,
And a promise to be near each time you call.
And the only heart I own
For you and you alone
That's all, That's all...

I can only give you country walks in springtime
And a hand to hold when leaves begin to fall;
And a love whose burning light
Will warm the winter's night
That's all, That's all...

There are those I am sure who have told you,
They would give you the world for a toy.
All I have are these arms to enfold you,
And a love even time can't destroy.
If you're wondering what I'm asking in return, dear,
You'll be glad to know that my demands are small.
Say it's me that you'll adore,
For now and evermore
That's all, That's all...

Dakota said...

Oh, what a lovely song! I did not know this one, but I’ve heard it now.
It’s certainly romantic. It could become one of my favourites too and… that’s all!

Thanks for sharing, Phil!

Dakota said...

Thanks for thinking about this one. In the meantime I’ve been asking my friends about their favourite songs and I am starting to believe that a lot of people have “all time favourite songs for the moment”. I also noticed that a lot of songs are pretty recent, the Beatles or the old Rolling Stones songs for example, were never mentioned. The oldest song (1971) revealed was Imagine by John Lennon and that was mentioned because Christmas is just around the corner.

I tried to find your favourite song Blue Mind by Alexi Murdoch, but all I found was a little snippet of it on Amazon. I’ve heard only 29 seconds of the song and that is hardly enough to base an opinion on. I think it’s a typical autumn song. It’s a bit dark, depressing but also very beautiful because it’s just a guy and his guitar.

Well, I’m listening to the “Indie Pop Rock” station now; maybe they play the song later :). And you are right….. were did the Indie in “Indie Pop Rock” go?