Monday, November 21, 2005

Beady eyes

Last night I was visiting the land of lovely dreams again and I was snoring away happily. But all of a sudden I was awake. I don’t know why, I don’t know how but it happened and that is very rare. Most of the time you can fire a canon right next to my bed and I still will sleep happily until morning.

Last night was different. I had the funny feeling that someone was watching me. Funny feeling indeed because
  • I was alone,
  • My bedroom is not on the ground floor
  • Ghosts usually don’t wake me up in the middle of the night.
  • It took me a while to regain full consciousness and while I was struggling to do that my eye landed on the alarm. Oh my God, it wasn’t even 4 yet! Grrrmph! I wanted to go back to sleep…. This was not the time to become fully awake…..grrrmph again! I turned on my left side, plumped my head back on my pillow, looked around the room once more and then I was fully prepared to enter the land of dreams once more. NOT! Because then it hit me! There was something looking at me! Very carefully I opened one eye and there it was, or should I say there they were……two beady eyes looking at me. Was I just imagining it or was this real? I closed my eye, reopened it and…. they were still there. This was real! F**k! (excuses for the strong language!)

    I always sleep with my window open and now there was an animal watching me through the gap. Dear me, good heavens, oooooh. I tried to scare it away by making strange sounds but it wouldn’t move. It just kept looking at me with those eyes. After a few seconds I knew there was only one thing left to do, I had to get out of bed and shut the window. A lot of what ifs entered my mind while I was making my way to window. What if the animal would enter my room, what if the animal attacked me, what if……I didn’t dare to close the window…….ooooooow! Before I could really answer all these questions and before I could even give them a second thought I grabbed hold of the handle and closed the window. *sigh* I had done it! No more beady eyes!

    Slowly my heartbeat returned to normal while I walked back to my bed. Oh my God, what was that? Yes indeed, what was that? I returned to the window but of course the animal was long gone. Was it a mouse, a rat, a ferret, cat? I didn’t and don’t know! But do I really want to know? Nope! There is only one thing I would like to know or two things actually.
  • Will the beast return?
  • Will I ever feel secure enough to sleep with the window open again?
  • The answers I prefer would be No, the beast will not return and yes I can sleep with my window open again because I really hate to sleep with all the windows closed. I like a bit of fresh air, the cold in the morning but not tonight! Tonight my bedroom is going to be like Fort Knox.

    3 comments:

    JoeBoy said...

    I once heard a scratching noise on my window. I pulled back the curtains to see two red round objects looking st me. I jumped back and went into another room and stayed up all night. The next morning I went outside to see if the demon with red eyes had left any tracks. There it was, a big red rose bush with two roses right at the window.

    Phil said...

    That's creepy! We used to live in an apartment where we could always hear the squirrles running back and forth across the roof in the early morning. I like a window open too, it makes the bed toastier

    Dakota said...

    Eeeek indeed, Stu! And a staring cat is not a nice thing to wake up to either :) I had a cat- experience at a friend house once. She had a party and I stayed over at her place. After we cleaned up most of the mess I unrolled my sleeping bag and found a comfortable place on the couch. In the middle of the night I had this funny feeling in my chest, I couldn’t breathe properly, it felt like someone was sitting on me or something. Was I having a heart attack? Shock! I opened my eyes….. and there was another shock….my friends cat was lying on my chest staring me in the face, purring away happily. I’ll never forget that experience.

    Seeing red round object in the middle of the night would freak me out too, joeboy. Luckily it was only a rosebush. I still don’t know what the damn thing was in my case.

    One thing is for sure, it was not a squirrel, Phil. I almost wish it was…. I like squirrels; I don’t like mice or rats. And I am quite used to sounds, every year I have nestling sparrows and swallows under my roof tiles. But this was something completely different.

    I didn’t hear or saw anything last night however, sleeping in Fort Knox felt safe :)