Friday, October 14, 2005

The preconceived opinion.

One of my goals on 43Things is: Stop smoking; and I’m still doing that. I have been quit for 1 Month, 1 Week, 2 Days, 16 hours, 40 minutes and 11 seconds (39 days). I have saved € 50,01 by not smoking 714 cigarettes. I have saved 2 Days, 11 hours and 30 minutes of my life, but who is counting ;-).

The other day a French guy left a comment and in short it came down to this: ‘Doesn’t smoking a joint count as smoking’? I was totally gobsmacked for a moment and then it dawned on me, just because I’m Dutch this guy thinks I’m a pothead. How rude! You will never hear me say that every French tourist is a drugs tourist. Oops, now I’ve said it! Silly me ;-)

But this got me thinking, what other strange preconceived opinions are there about the Dutch.
I know that people think us Dutch:

  • still walk on wooden shoes or clogs
  • live in windmills
  • eat cheese all day
  • have a private XTC lab in the basement
  • smoke weed everyday
  • sell weed on every corner
  • have tulips everywhere
  • always go Dutch
  • can’t cook
  • are killing people out of mercy, just for kicks (euthanasia).
  • are rude, annoying because we are very outspoken
  • are way too liberal about gay marriages, abortions, sex and drugs
  • In my opinion these things are just what they are: preconceived opinions! To burst the bubble….we have normal shoes, live in houses, eat all sort of things, don’t have XTC labs in out basements, some of us smoke weed, sell weed in coffeeshops, some of us like tulips/others don’t, we can cook, euthanasia is only allowed after careful consideration and there are lots of rules that has to be followed, we are very outspoken and liberal. Wow, I guess some things are true :-)

    Some facts about The Netherlands:
    Country name:
    conventional long form: Kingdom of the Netherlands
    conventional short form: Netherlands
    local long form: Koninkrijk der Nederlanden
    local short form: Nederland
    Location: Western Europe, bordering the North Sea, between Belgium and Germany
    Capital: Amsterdam
    Area - comparative: slightly less than twice the size of New Jersey
    Climate: marine; cool summers and mild winters
    Population: 16,407,491
    Nationality: noun: Dutchman(men), Dutchwoman(women)
    adjective: Dutch
    Ethnic groups: Dutch 83%, other 17% (of which 9% are non-Western origin mainly Turks, Moroccans, Antilleans, Surinamese, and Indonesians)
    Religions: Roman Catholic 31%, Dutch Reformed 13%, Calvinist 7%, Muslim 5.5%, other 2.5%, none 41%
    Government type: constitutional monarchy
    Executive branch: chief of state: Queen BEATRIX (since 30 April 1980); Heir Apparent WILLEM-ALEXANDER (born 27 April 1967), son of the monarch
    head of government: Prime Minister Jan Peter BALKENENDE (since 22 July 2002) and Deputy Prime Ministers Gerrit ZALM (since 27 May 2003) and Laurens Jan BRINKHORST (since 31 March 2005)
    cabinet: Council of Ministers appointed by the monarch
    elections: none; the monarchy is hereditary; following Second Chamber elections, the leader of the majority party or leader of a majority coalition is usually appointed prime minister by the monarch; vice prime ministers appointed by the monarch
    note: there is also a Council of State composed of the monarch, heir apparent, and councilors that provides consultations to the cabinet on legislative and administrative policy

    4 comments:

    Phil said...

    I was hoping to visit you in your windmill someday...

    I think you may have left out something about loving chocolate, or is that one true? ;-)

    That is sooo great about not smoking. I used to smoke many years ago (I don't think my current condition is related to that) I'm rooting for you to stay off the ciggies!

    Dakota said...

    Hahaha.....Bummer! I almost wish I lived in a windmill now ;-) Well, if that someday ever comes I could always try to rent a windmill for a day :) We still have windmills in some places.

    What’s with the chocolate?

    Thanks for your support. Staying of the ciggies is pretty easy most days; I just have to stay busy. Luckily I have a blog ;-)

    Phil said...

    Excuse the picture, I was being goofy at work.
    I've always heard of Dutch Chocolate. I'm part Swiss so I get the Chocolate and Cheese jokes, plus part Irish so the Irish 7 course meal jokes (a baked potato and a 6-pack)

    Dakota said...

    Well, I guess I'm learning something new every day!

    I never heard of Dutch Chocolate let alone heard jokes about it.