Saturday, October 01, 2005

And again… a waste of my time.

I've been looking for a nice job for quite some time now and today there was a job-market at my local job-center. At first I didn’t want to go, because I’ve been before and I left with no job offers, only tons of frustrations. But this time all would be different. They advertised it as the new and improved job-market: With lots of jobs on offer, small businesses with vacancies, information and temp-agencies. Yeah, right I thought, I’ve worked in advertising, I know how that works. But hey you can’t comment on something if you haven’t seen it with your own eyes, so I hopped on my bike this morning and went to discover the new and improved job-market. It was a bit chilly, but the sun was shining, I could already smell the autumn in the air and I was in a great mood.

When I got at the job-center I saw a lot of people exiting the building and they were all smiling and chatting. Hmmz, could that be a good sign? I couldn’t wait to enter, so through the doors I went, optimistic and hopeful. Upon entering the center, I was handed a questionnaire, a pen and a scribbling-pad. Oh, I could hardly contain myself…..this was going to be fun. At least that’s what I thought at that moment. One minute later, all fun had left the building. Where were all the promised jobs on offer? Where were all the small businesses with vacancies? Was I in the wrong building?? I almost went out to check :) But instead I asked another jobseeker: This is the new and improved job-market, right? And the answer was: Yes!!Hmm… rather the same old, boring and not very helpful job-market AGAIN!

I stayed about 5 minutes. All I could get was information about welfare/ unemployment benefits, logistics-jobs and army-jobs. So again, it was a waste of my time. And not only a waste of my time,
upon exiting the building I chatted with some girls and one of them said: This job-market is a bit like alcohol; it promises you a good time and all you get is a headache. We all smiled! And as I walked, still smiling, to my bike I saw the expression on other peoples faces change from doubtful to hopeful. Hmmz, there was something familiar about that………

2 comments:

Phil said...

Sorry you're out of work. I did the job market thing a few years ago. It wasn't very helpful. I like that quote
"This job-market is a bit like alcohol; it promises you a good time and all you get is a headache."
Pardon my french, but sometimes you do get screwed too.

BTW: just went to your flicker site. Great shots. I need to post more too. Hope you are well

Dakota said...

In Dutch there is a saying and that translates to something like this:
I got screwed and they didn’t even told me. If they did, I might have enjoyed it.
Or
I got screwed and I didn’t feel a thing :)

And thanks for asking….I’m well!