Sunday, October 02, 2005

Is it wrong to fall in love…

with two guys at the same time? I think it isn’t! Oh, what a revelation. In Dutch, they would say: FOEI! In English that would be something like: Shame on you! Hmm.. if someone falls in love with two guys is that person then a sort of bigamist or an adulteress or just plane and simple, a slut? Questions, question, questions. So I guess, it’s time for some answers. I think I’m none of the above, because I didn’t actually fall in love with two guys, but with their CD’s :). Bummer hey! Here you are, hoping for a juicy revelation and all it turns out to be is just another boring CD review (or two actually). Well, if you are interested in music stay, if not, just GO! Push the Next Blog button.

So you are still here… welcome, I hope you enjoy your stay :)
At first I fell in love with Jack Johnson’s CD: In Between Dreams. I never heard of the guy until his first song ‘Sitting, Waiting, Wishing’ hit the charts over here. Shortly after that, ‘Good people’ was released and I liked that one too. Time to check out the album and it was love at first sight. Or should that in this case be: Love on first hear? The first track on the album ‘Better Together’ sets the mood. It begins with an instrumental introduction followed by his very sensitive voice. I especially like the first lines: ‘There's no combination of words, I could put on the back of a postcard. No song that I could sing, But I can try for your heart’. The song `Never Know' has great harmonizing vocals. `Banana Pancakes' is a real getaway. The sound of rain, some bird and the opening lines: ‘Well can’t you see that its just raining, aint no need to go outside...’ got me hooked the first time I heard it. It’s a great Sunday morning song. It's written about escaping the rest of the world and pretending like it's the weekend all the time. The song `No other way' is one that anyone in a relationship can relate to. Sometimes being together is the only way to survive and there aren’t always answers. The songs ‘Good People’, ‘Staple it Together’, and ‘Sitting, Waiting, Wishing’ all have a catchy tempo. ‘Situations’ and ‘Belle’ are short, but efficient. ‘If I Could’ and ‘Crying Shame’ really have a tropical island feel to them. His songs: ‘Breakdown’ and ‘Constellations’ really displays his laidback lifestyle. ‘Do you remember’ is a bit of reminiscing with just a guitar in the background. It’s a bit like a daydream and fits the album perfectly because it's very relaxing; listening to this album it’s almost as if you're in a dream or In Between Dreams.

The second CD I fell in love with is Catching Tales by Jamie Cullum. The first time I heard and saw Jamie Cullum, he was playing at the North Sea Jazz festival. And I was hooked. The way this little guy played, his sensitive voice, I had only one word for that: SUPERB!. I bought Twentysomething almost immediately and all I could think was ‘Wow, this guy is amazing!’. I loved the way he transformed the old songs, created his own and let's not forget Frontin’ originally by Pharrell Williams (The Neptunes). But that is all old news, back to this new album. The first time I heard it, I didn’t know what to make of it. This was different, so I immediately listened to it again. And then it hit me: different but great…. Again! Different is not bad in this case; I think it only shows development. The tracks mentioned here are just a few of the tracks on the album.‘Get Your Way’ is a killer opening track and basically the album just gets better and better as it goes on. ‘London Skies’ is a bit chilling, just as London skies can be. ‘Photograph’ is one of my favorites. I love the piano in this song…. goosebumps from the beginning.‘Only have eyes for you’ a real classic, resuscitated to become a hit in this century. ‘Nothing I do’ one of Cullum's own songs, is just fun. I noticed that this time round more songs are by him and they are instant favorites. I just love this album. Why? It’s a mix of beats, ballads, piano and jazz, it’s basically everything you want to hear. Just listen!

2 comments:

Phil said...

You had me going there for a second Dakota. I've been hearing a lot about Jack Johnson. I should give hima listen. I'm really out of the loop. I somtimes two time some CD's I listen to also..

Dakota said...

I did? I’m sooo sorry, I didn’t mean to ;)
Whahaha!
And thanks, two-timing was the term I was looking for :)