Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Treat yourself to status check.

I was chatting with a friend this morning and she said something that really amazed me. She said that she wants to change herself and be more “normal”. I was totally gobsmacked for a moment and when I got my speech back just simply asked her ‘why’? Well according to her, people think she is not “normal”. That got me thinking because I don’t believe that there is a definite definition for the word “normal”. What I consider to be “normal” can be totally weird for the next person. For instance: I like to bake cookies for Christmas, another person might think that’s so weird, just go to a store and buy them. Another example: I like to do Random Acts of Kindness, others think that is pretty weird. But who cares what others think, it’s what I think that counts for me. So if others think I’m not “normal” that's just their problem, not mine.

We talked a bit more and as it turns out, she really does want to reinvent herself. Funnily enough, that is very common these days. More and more people want to reinvent, change, improve themselves or want a total makeover. They just want to fit in, be as “normal” as the rest of the world. They try to accomplish this by plastic surgery, self-help and self-improvement books, by buying things they really can't afford. It can be a long and excruciating process. But is it really necessary to change totally? I don't think so. There is nothing wrong with diversity and a lot of people don’t realize it, but they are pretty awesome just the way they are. But what do you do if you really want to change certain things, improve a thing here and there?

Well, there is a simple answer to that; take a time out and perform a status check every few months. Ask yourself a couple of simple questions to determine if you are still on the right track. Do you undertake enough things that give you energy? Do certain things bother you? Do you get annoyed by little things? Can you come up with things which really need to be changed? If so...... change them, one step at a time. Just a small course correction can be just the thing you need. Oh....and there is one bonus too, when you perform a status check from time to time you will never have to reinvent yourself completely.

5 comments:

Phil said...

I miss my old normal. My new normal is always changing but I don't want to be like everybody else. I love your solution. You are wise beyond your years Dakota

b o o said...

i can only be me, no more no less. i wonder if thats normal. u are great Dakota.

p/s i'm trying to keep a straight face while typing this & trying no to look @ Phil's avatar. its too funny :p

pp/s my word verification is 'odbolz' how normal is that?!?

Dakota said...

I don’t think you are like everybody else, so somehow you got your wish with your ever changing normal ;)Hmm.... or is it your ever changing avatar!

And I don’t think I’m wise Phil, I’m just using my common sense :)
___________________________________
Just be You, boo. Nothing more or nothing less! You’re great :)

And I have to say that my word verification is behaving very abnormal….. how long is it going to take before it gets really rude :)
___________________________________
Hmmz Ap…. I hope you don’t have to spend too much time in that dark corner ;Þ

Phil said...

"Common sense is not so common."
-Voltaire

Dakota said...

Oh and who is (the) wise (guy) now ;)

Great quote Phil!