Saturday, December 17, 2005

Message to my Dad

Hi there amazing guy,

Today you would have turned 77 but you are not, and we both know why. You died almost 20 years (next May) ago and we both know that you can never return. Maybe you didn’t totally disappear; maybe your spirit is still near me. I don’t know but if you are, you know you are more then welcome.

Twenty years is a really long time. I still think of you fondly, miss you and I still think you were an amazing guy. Not just because you were my dad, but because you were special. You have taught me so many things and I can’t mention them all, so here is a selection. You taught me how to cook, how appreciate life, how to tinker with things, values, how to persevere, how to learn, how to listen, how to love, how to find the perfect Christmas tree, how to put up wallpaper, how to paint, how to care, how to share and how to overcome the greater challenges in life. And even though you are no longer here, I still believe you are teaching me things every day. Or maybe it’s because I see things more and more the way you did. According to Mom, I have more of you in me every day, character wise that is. Hmm… so parts of you are still here I guess, you live on through me :)

I am writing this little message because I wanted to let you know that you are not forgotten and that we are all okay, but I have this funny feeling that you already know that. Tonight I will light a special candle, I will drink a glass of wine, maybe I will eat a piece of pie to celebrate the day you were born and I’ll think of the fun and special things we did together.

Love ya!

8 comments:

Phil said...

Dakota, I'm tearing up. What a beautiful post. I hope my kids can write something like that about me someday.
x-p

b o o said...

cheers to your daddy-o Dakota. my papa turned 80 dec13. they are both angels i tell you. thanks for sharing.

Dakota said...

Phil, I am sure your kids are going to write something like that about you someday. Someday….. very far in the future :)

boo, your Dad certainly is an angel, I have read your post earlier….I bet he is an amazing guy with a remarkable daughter :)

Max said...

I am m issing my Dad too this Christmas. Second one with out him.

Dakota said...

Sorry to hear that, Max. I know how hard it can be, you sort of have to re-invent Christmas. All the best! :)

dot said...

That was a beautiful remembrance of your father. It's difficult, isn't it?

My late father was born on December 5, and I've been thinking of him a lot the past few weeks.

Take care.

Dakota said...

Paula, December is always a bit more difficult, with his birthday and Christmas etcetera. I always think a lot of him these days.

It’s a bit like in that Christmas song:
‘Because I miss you
Most at Christmas time
And I can't get you
Get you off my mind
Every other season comes along
And I'm all right
But then I miss you, most at Christmas time’

Dakota said...

Thanks, Ap. Sorry to read that you lost your father so early in life.

And don’t hope that your kids will write something similar, but make sure they do. Just give them the best start in life you can and they will love and remember always, even when you are gone.

Hugs right back at ya :)