Saturday, January 14, 2006

Why?

Why does it sometimes feel like pulling teeth when you are trying to have a conversation with a guy? It almost feels like you have to enter the chat with a toolbox in hand, take out your tongs or tweezers after a few minutes and gently pull words out of the mouth one at a time. This can be so time-consuming :( and let’s not forget annoying. This might need some explaining.

Earlier this week I called one of my male friends. We have been friends for a very, very and let’s say it again, very…. long time, so you could say, we know each other very well. We mostly do outdoor stuff together like hiking. This weekend they predicted nice weather (and they were right, the sun was shining), so I called my friend to see if he had anything planned for this weekend and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Hey, it’s me (duh!)
He: Oh, Hi Me! (not funny)
Me: Do you have any plans for next weekend?
He: Why?
Me: Well, the weather is going to be nice, maybe we can go for a hike or something?
He: Hmm…. Sorry, can’t do that!
Me: Oh, you have plans then!
Me: Plans for one day, or the whole weekend?
He: Yes!
Me: Huh? Are you going to be away for the whole weekend?
He: Yes!
Me: Going anywhere nice?
He: Why?
Me: Just asking, well are you going anywhere nice?
He: Nothing special!
Me: Visiting friends, or something?
He: Yup!
Me: Oh, are you going up North? (that sound more adventures then it actually is, Holland is not that big)
He: Why, do you ask that?
Me: Because I am showing an interest in your life!
He: Oh, that’s nice :)
Me: Well, are you going up North then?
He: Yes!
Me: *sigh* Are you going to be back Sunday evening?
He: Why?
Me: Maybe we can go to a movie or something?
He: I don’t know yet!
Me: *sigh* Well, just give me a call when you want to do something on Sunday.
He: Okay, I will do that!
Me: I hope you are going to have a nice weekend.
He: Why?
Me: Because I think you deserve a nice weekend!
He: Oh, okay! Thanks!
Me: Talk to you later
He: Yes, bye!

Let’s do one of the above mentioned things again….. Let's
*SIGH*

7 comments:

singlewheatfemale said...

he he he i know what u are talking about sister!! :p
guys and their inticate incomprehensible world of sex and video-games!!!
hey could u plz take the pain of visitng my blog too.
i am into poems and musings and stuff,
and don't ask why!!!
ciao,
nice work with this one...

qaminante said...

Well noted! It's so true - even gay guys respond like this. Perhaps on Mars there is no such thing as a conversation, only exchange of factual information.

wanderingthinker said...

phhh. you can't generalize this, I like to phone long hours and I'm telling things...

But I've to admit, that most males I know seem to freeze on the phone.

Dakota said...

singlewheatfemale Thanks for you nice comment. I will visit your blog :)

qaminante Factual information would be nice, but I know guys who have problems with that too. Some of them only know 3 words: yes, now, maybe. Oh, I miscounted they know 5 words. They know beer and food too ;)

wanderingthinker hmm… maybe I should give you a call next time I’m in a chatty mood ;)

And I believe that I wasn’t generalizing. I didn’t say all guys are like that :)

wanderingthinker said...

I'm sure that you havn't generalized in your post. You never would do that...

Phil said...

I'm at a loss for words

Dakota said...

How can that be Phil, you're a Libra :)