Sunday, January 29, 2006

Where is the love?

The other day I saw “Pride & Prejudice”(2005) and I’m still not sure what to think of it.

I really like Jane Austen novels although they might be a bit dated for some people. This movie is a very traditional version of Jane Austen’s1813 book that is entertaining and amusing. The opening scene is beautiful done. A single camera captures an English countryside morning during the opening titles. You see lush greenery, hear singing birds and a sun that has just risen. Absolutely beautiful! Three cheers for scenery, lighting, costumes, acting and cast……well, most of the cast that is.

Most actors play their role brilliantly, but where on earth did they find this Mr. Darcy (Matthew MacFadyen)? It must have been in a cave or something? I’ve never seen a guy with no expression before. Okay, during the whole movie there was one second of emotion but that’s all. Even when he tells Elizabeth that he wants to marry her, there is no passion what so ever. And I know, different times, different etiquettes but come on…..even way back then people fell in love. There is just no chemistry between this Mr. Darcy and Ms. Bennet. I almost wanted to scream at the screen: No Lizzie, NO! Run away, search for the “real” Mr. Darcy, that’s not him…..this is just a guy pretending to be Mr. Darcy ;). But I didn’t……duh!...I’m not stupid, I know it’s just a movie/a story, but I guess there will be only one Mr. Darcy for me and that’s Colin Firth (who played the role in 1995 miniseries).

Conclusion: Great and beautiful movie, if you like Jane Austen books and haven't seen the miniseries :)

4 comments:

b o o said...

i love jane austen. i love mr darcy. i love colin firth :p

Dakota said...

Oh……there is the LOVE! :)

Rayya Ghul said...

Took me ages to work out that miniseries wasn't pronounced 'minnizeries'. Thought it was something to do with misery. Time for bed I think!

Colin Firth every time.

Thanks for the cheer on 43 Things!
Indigirl

Dakota said...

Well some miniseries are a bit of a misery :)

And you are welcome snowqueen