Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Let me help you with that.

That is something you hear less and less these days and I think it’s a shame. This morning I was in the supermarket. I thought I didn’t need that much groceries, so I walked past the shopping karts. Who needs one of those things that most of the time just wants to go west when you want to go north? I surely don’t, at least that’s what I thought. Of course, like so often, I had more groceries then I had planned on, so I had to balance everything on one arm while I tried to collect the rest of my stuff. When I finally got all the things I wanted I went to the cash register and that’s where it all went wrong. Stuff slipped from my arm and fell on the ground. The lady in front of me just turned around and gave me a nasty look and the guy next in line made a rude comment. None of them offered to help me, so I had to perform a neat trick…..almost a circus act. I needed to balance the rest of my stuff with one arm and pick up the other groceries with my free hand. Man, it was a hard job but I managed. ehmm… maybe I should apply for a circus job? :) No, I won’t!But this little event got me thinking. What is wrong with Dutch folks these days?

Okay to be honest, we Dutch like to complain and nag about everything. The weather, the world, our food, new health insurance system, salaries, neighbours, you name it and we complain about it. Well, look at me….I’m complaining about Dutch folks! :) It has been that way for ages and I guess that is never going to change, but nowadays some people are really turning nasty. They not only complain, they also forgot everything that used to be common courtesy. Things like holding the door open when somebody is entering right behind you. They just throw the door shut in front of your face. Or when I greet people on the street in my neighbourhood, they just look at me funny……like I am an alien or something. When you approach someone to ask for directions for example, they act like they don’t hear you. Who knows why, maybe they suspect you are going to rob them or something. Yuck, I really dislike that sort of people.

They say people have changed because of the negative vibe, the Dutch recently became negative about everything, but I don’t believe that. I believe that certain things act as a catalyst which causes a chain reaction. For example someone is entering a building but somebody else throws the door in their face. First time they think ‘how rude’ the second time they get angry and after the third time they just unintentional act the same way. So the next person has to suffer in the same way, and the next and the next. But I still have high hopes. Maybe the group of rude people is growing but I’m not ready to sign up for it yet. This has to work the other way around too. So, when somebody else has dropped his/her groceries I’m going to smile and say ‘Here let me help you with that’. Hopefully it will help!

“He who sows courtesy reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love”

8 comments:

qaminante said...

It is not just the Dutch who act like that, my explanation is that it is the pressure of modern/city life, people are so wrapped up in their own problems they can barely see anyone else's, let alone help them. I refuse to let nasty (e.g. thieving..) people influence my expectations! Better luck next time.

b o o said...

singaporeans complain about everything as well, its terrible.

thats a nice meaningful post Dakota & thanks for visiting with me :)

Dakota said...

Wow! So, this is happening in other places too. Maybe we should start a mini revolution?! :)

wanderingthinker said...

I know what you mean. I came out of the ghetto and live now in a very upscale area. And to be honest, it's the most anti-social area I ever lived in: Nobody greats and you must be happy if you don't get the door in the face entering a store behind another person.

Most people seem to be so busy to get there own crap together, that they don't find this half-minute needed to help each other. In my opinion, this is the ultimate stage of interpersonal seperation. There is only "me" and my ego left, no space for others. I think, we should be more gratefull for other people. As this world becomes more and more interdependendent, it will become difficult, if we don't understand, that we all need each other. And if we don't care, there may be the day, were is nobody left for this little ego.

In my case it's not complaining, but pure rage.

If you ask me, it's time for a mini-revolution.

b o o said...

i'm with u.

Dakota said...

I totally agree with you Wanderingthinker. It’s all about Me, Myself and I at the moment. Yuk! So let’s do this, let’s start our mini revolution. Like Stu said: Let's get people happy and helpful again - one by one :) And we might be just a few individuals in Germany, England, Belgium, Singapore and Holland, but who knows, maybe we’ll start a new trend or something………The happy and helpful movement :)

JuliaR said...

It IS a chain reaction thing, I know it. I get a lot of mileage from being nice to check-out clerks because I know they will be more likely to smile at the next person and so on. It's part of the karma concept. It also requires you to be humble, something which many people fear doing because they think it will diminish them, when in fact, it does the opposite. But it's hard to let go of the fear.

Dakota said...

If everybody would just believe in the karma concept the world would be a much nicer place JuliaR. Unfortunately a lot of people don’t believe in it or act accordingly. It’s a pity, but I won’t let it get me down. As long as there are people who believe in kindness, smiles, happiness, random acts of kindness, helpfulness and so much more, there is still hope :)

Thank you for the interesting Wikipedia link!