Saturday, January 07, 2006

The Final Salute

Maybe this isn’t for everyone, but this story really touched me.

During the Christmas period we get all sort of extra supplements with magazines and newspapers. In one of them I found some gripping photos made by Todd Heisler. I had never heard of him before, but I like photos which tell a story all by themselves. I also try to go and see the World Press Photo exhibition every year, but that is a different story.

After I had read the brief article which accompanied the photos I just knew that there was more to the story, so I Googled it and ended up here.

The Rocky Mountain News starts their special report with these words: They are the troops that nobody wants to see, carrying a message that no military family ever wants to hear. It begins with a knock at the door.

If you just want to check out the photos, view the slideshows and if you want to read the full story you can find it there too. It is a sad but attention-grabbing story and, like I said earlier, maybe not for everyone.

Btw one of the photos is nominated for Best Photo of Year 2005 by Time Magazine.

4 comments:

Phil said...

Incredibly moving photo.
I couldn't imagine getting a visit like that

b o o said...

so sad a message to receive. those are great pictures. thanks for sharing Dakota, you're wonderful.

Dakota said...

Thank you both for your response! It is not exactly a message I would like to receive, but people receive these kind of messages all over the place. And maybe people don’t want to be confronted with these stories but as long as it delicately done it is okay. It is a story that has to be told.

Dakota said...

My thoughts exactly zoom!