Friday, January 13, 2006

10 Commandments (for strong people)

You might have noticed that I talk a lot about positive things, life changing strategies and so on, on my blog. Sorry, can’t help it, I feel the need to share :Þ. If you don’t like, just skip it. I changed my life totally a few years ago, but it is actually still a work in progress. Hey, life is a journey and the road travelled is much more important then the destination.

Recently someone asked me how I changed my life and the funny thing is that I’m actually not sure how I did it. I believe that it is the result of a lot of things combined and taking small baby steps forward. You can’t go to bed one evening and wake up the next day a totally changed person. If it was that easy you could change on a daily basis.


But back to the asked question, it got me thinking. I’m still not sure about the how, but I know that I started reading about depression, life changing strategies a long time ago and one of the first books was the Dutch translation of Zehn geboten für starke Frauen by Ursula Nuber. I could also have read the German version but my German is a bit rusty :). I believe it’s not available in an English translation, but in English it would be called 10 Commandments for strong women. I think that a better title would be: 10 Commandments for strong people, because they can be of use to men too. It is a great book and it helped me a lot, so here are the
10 Commandments for Strong People (do what ever you want with them :))

  • You will be proud of yourself.
  • You will set boundaries.
  • You will not overstrain yourself.
  • You will take the responsibility for your own life. Your life lies in your hands.
  • You will not take everything personally.
  • You will state your personal opinions loud and clear.
  • You will accept who you are, that means including your strong and weak points.
  • You will not stand in the way of your own success.
  • You will be kind, good, friendly and nice to yourself.
  • You will not feel guilty.

  • 6 comments:

    qaminante said...

    Great rules, I had half-formulated some of them myself over the last couple of years. Did you "just" change your feelings (get over depression...) or did you actually change your job, way of life and/or other things as well?

    b o o said...

    wow. numbers 1, 2, 3 & 10 most definitely. strong people stand together {{group hug}}

    Dakota said...

    Well it’s not exactly rocket science, now is it qaminante ;) I had figured some of them out all by myself, too. I changed everything, not just the feelings. I started exercising (never done that before), eating healthier, lost 20 kilo’s, quitted my job, moved back to my old hometown, reconnected with my family, sidy goodbye to some of my friends (the ones who like to call themselves “my friends”) learned to see things from a positive perspective and even showed my boyfriend where the door was (no, that was a mutual decision:)). There is probably a lot more, but I can’t come up with anything else right now.

    Oh and everything worked out great, accept for the job-thingy. I’m (supposed to be) all grown up now and I still haven’t got a clue what I want to be :)

    Dakota said...

    Hooray, boo is in the House :)
    Strong people, unite!
    {{group hug}}

    kat said...

    I've copied those, Dakota. Thanks.:-)

    Dakota said...

    You are welcome Kat. Enjoy :)