Friday, July 07, 2006

Sometimes……*sigh*

I have been a bit busy the last few days. I am trying to set up an online community for the people who came to the reunion so they can stay in contact and arrange meetings much easier. Well, as it turned out, it all sounded like a great plan when I suggested it, but now I am not so sure anymore. When I started out it was all just straight forward stuff but then I decided I didn’t like the standard lay-out, the colours, the fonts etc.…..actually I didn’t like one thing. So I started to fool around with it and created more work for myself along the way. Hooray!!....NOT!

I have this real fascination with lay-outs, it all needs to be clean, neat, checked and double checked and balanced. I guess it’s just an obsession I picked up in one of my jobs.
But here is the funny thing, I’ve been messing with this whole community thing for days now and I am finally at a stage that I am beginning to like it, but then I started to ask myself ‘why am I doing this?’ The others probably would have liked the first thing you created. Why can’t I just stop and say this is good enough? Why do I always feel the need to improve the things I have created? *Grrrrr* Why can’t I be just like everybody else? *sigh*
I know why……because in reality I don’t want to be like everybody else……I am ME!



Reasons to be cheerful:
1. I finally found some one who wants to go to the music festival tomorrow :)
2. A summer breeze. Don’t you just love the way it caresses your body?

3. Silly chick flicks like “Something’s gotta give”

4. Nice and silly time wasting games, like this one Uber breakout

7 comments:

wanderingthinker said...

I had a goal on 43Things, that I want to avoid perfectionism. Achieving this made me a lot more realxed. What helped me to gain balance between my own "high" standards and a "good" fast solution is to think and work in iterations. That means, that I start with a sufficient version and if I'm not satisified, or get change requests, I rework the thing.

Dakota said...

Great! That’s a real helpful tip, Wanderingthinker. I decided to put the community online now and I’ll let the others decide if it is sufficient enough or not. I feel relieved! Thanks :)

Phil said...

I get the perfectionism thing real bad. I love things to be neat, tidy, easy to find, clutter-less, everything, but it does get me down, because it's not a natural thing and it's hard to achieve and maintain.
I often envy friends who just don’t care about stuff like that and can live with things not being right, but it bugs the hell out of me.
It only really comes in useful with my job, for all the technical drawings, circuit layouts, software debugging and cataloging info, but I do have a very clean car and smart house because of it!

P.S. You've spelt all with one 'l' on the 6th line down... LOL, sorry, but I just couldn't resist! :] x

Dakota said...

Grrrrr…..You just had to point that out DoGGa.You’ve ruined my day now ;) I know I have to pay extra attention to words like all because in Dutch we also have the word all, only it’s spelt with one l :)

If the whole perfectionism thing gets you down, why do you keep doing it then? What do you get out of it? Maybe you should ease off a little! It’s nice and comfortable to live in a clutter free and neat environment were you can find everything in an instant (I like that too) but if it’s so hard to maintain, why don’t you lighten up a little. It must be possible for you to live in comfortable place without being so obsessed with the whole thing. You can be too hard on yourself, cut yourself some slack! Give yourself permission to not be perfect all day, every day :) x

Phil said...

Hehehe..!

I just suffer from a bit of OCD I believe! :-(

Phil said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dakota said...

Oh :( Well then you have a bit of a problem DoGGa. But there is some good news, it can be treated :)