Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It’s a heat thing!

The last couple of days it has been really hot over here. Today temperatures hit 37º C/98,6 ºF in some places and that is really rare. We are also “enjoying” our second heat wave of the year and that is even rarer. The last time we had two heat waves in one year was 59 years ago.

Up until now I had no problem with the high temperatures, but the last couple of days I woke up at 5. AT 5!! That’s way too early for me. Now I am starting to think about doing the siesta thing, like they do in Spain (btw it’s much warmer here then in Spain at the moment) but there is only one problem, during the day it’s quite hot indoors too. So, let’s just strike that idea. This heat wave will probably pass, only not any time soon. They are predicting the same sort of weather (temperatures around 32º C/90º F for the next 10 days?!?! Oh well, it’s summer and we might as well (try to) enjoy it, whatever the temperature :) There is only one summer of 2006 after all!

So no better time then the present to find out what my Summer anthem 2006 would be:
My 2006 Summer Anthem Is


"No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins"

What's Your 2006 Summer Anthem?

Strange coincidence….this was my anthem for the Summer of 2005!

In other news! Men feel great on the beach, Women think they are fat(ty).
A Dutch magazine held a poll and that showed that 40% of all women think they are too obese to go to the beach. 43% of the men feel great when they are on the beach.

Further research showed that only 2% (duh!) of the men get very annoyed with topless (female) sunbathers. 13% of the women didn’t like topless (female) sunbathers. When asked, 39% of the men said they would regret it if topless sunbathing would be banned. Oh, how surprising.

One other surprising fact. 40% of the women like to compare themselves with other women. Only 22 % of the men do the same thing. Hey people, what’s the use, you are who you are. It’s not like you can change into someone else just by looking at them :)

Surprising news! Hot randy weather.
Apparently a lot people feel much more attracted (to put it nicely) to the opposite (or same, if that’s their thing) sex because of the hot weather. It seems to be a hormone thing, but I believe it has a lot to do with the flimsy summer clothes too. Rumour has it that they just want to be close to other people! Are they mad……It’s way too hot for that sort of thing ;)

Last surprising fact of the day which made me say "I never knew that" I always thought the hottest time of the day was between 12 noon and 3 in the afternoon. Today I learned that heat can be delayed. The highest temperatures were measured in the evening between 6 and 7. Oh, see, people are never too old to learn something new :)

Enjoy your hot (or cool) evening! ;)

8 comments:

Phil said...

Don't talk to me about heat! It's 30.3 degrees in my house...

You seemed suprised at the beach facts! LOL :]

The sun is at its strongest between 12 and 3 yeah, hence the siesta! Best time for sunbathing or covering up.
It's cool your getting the same over there, or not so cool should I say. I too have been waking in the early hours. Not good eh? :[

dot said...

Wow, you covered a lot in that post!

98.6 degrees...your body is the same temperature as the air outside. It should feel okay at that temp...but it doesn't. 98 degrees is really hot.

I'm a little concerned that it hasn't been that hot there in so long, and wonder if Global Warming isn't the myth that some of us are hoping.

"UnWritten" makes me think of my kids when I hear it...but it could be anyone at any age. It's a very hope filled song, and one of my favorites.

Dakota said...

30.3 Inside your house, DoGGa? Pffff….That’s hot!! Well I guess you are the winner of the day then. My room temperature is around 27 or 28 most of the time. Today is not so bad however. There is a nice breeze and it’s partly clouded because we are going to have some thunderstorms this afternoon……hurrah, thunderstorms rule :)

Of course I am surprised at the beach facts…….NOT! :) I am actually more surprised about the fact that they felt the need to research that yet again. I am sure most of us know that some women are insecure at the beach and that some men like to watch topless ladies. So why ask people about it……. I think the magazine just needed an excuse to spend a day at the beach :)

Waking up in the early hours of the morning is not good at all, it really sucks :( On the other hand, there is a positive thing too …… when I have breakfast around 6 in my garden it’s pretty nice out…..cool even :)

Yeah a bit too much! Sorry about that Paula :)
We do have hot days on rare occasion, but it’s usually just one or two days. This time around it’s for a longer period though. We’ve already had 10 (or more....Can’t remember…. I think the heat is messing with my brain ;)) hot days and now they are telling us it will stay this way for the next 10 days……but hey that’s just another Dutch Summer. Last year it rained for 3 consecutive weeks and most of the summer it felt more like autumn….. so, I probably shouldn’t be complaining about the summer of 2006 :)

“Unwritten” is one of my favourites too :) It’s such a positive song. My favourite line “Live Your Life With Arms Wide Open” :)

Phil said...

I'm not surprised that men think they look wonderful and that we have no problem looking at women's breasts. We're a disgusting bunch at times.
It's been hot here the past few days but it finally broke. We don't use AC, but we sure use the pool. The water there is now 87

zoom said...

It's hot here in Canada too, but I love it.

I never understood - and stil don't - why air temperature doesn't feel neutral at 98.6F either.

I'm not sure I'd like those 2% of men who are offended by naked breasts at the beach. I think I prefer the men who fall somewhere between the oglers and the prudes on the naked breast continuum.

Dakota said...

Oh Phil I wish I had a pool to cool of in too. It must be nice to take a dip in the pool after a long hot day :) Enjoy!!

I am starting to believe it’s hot all over the world Zoom!:) I agree with you, a little cheer for “the men who fall somewhere between the oglers and the prudes” :)

Manda Han said...

Your temperatures 37!!!! and I thought 32 was getting hot. If it's hot and dry thats ok but when it gets hot and humid thats when I suffer - 22 and humid today and it's far worse than 32 and dry heat - but i'm not grumbling!

Dakota said...

Yuck, humid weather. I don’t like it either Amanda.
It has cooled off a little bit since I wrote that post, it’s only 27º C today, but later in the week we are going to get more hot weather. It looks like we are having a real summer this year :)