Monday, July 03, 2006

And you are……….

Yesterday I had the BIG reunion, which actually turned out to be a quite small or even tiny reunion, only half of the people who had RSVP-ed showed up. I don’t know why the rest didn’t bother to show their face, could be that they thought it was too hot (28º C) or maybe they just didn’t care. Anyway I enjoyed a nice and entertaining Sunday in an air-conditioned room with a bunch of people I recognised, I could even put names and faces together, but of which I couldn’t remember any specifics. I always thought that the reunion would trigger my memory but it didn’t. So, there I was in a room full of people, listening to stories I had never heard before or could not remember. I can tell you this; it was a very strange sensation. It felt like those people had lived in a parallel universe or something……weird!! But I wasn’t the only one; more people experienced the same thing. At some point we even wondered if we were at the right reunion ;).
Things that amazed me most:
  • Some people never change. Same appearance, same weight and same personality.
  • Some people change enormously. All the stick insects had turned into heavy set people.
  • A lot of them turned into bitter and discontented people.
  • Most of them really looked (and acted old). They said I was the youngest among them and I am actually one of the oldest.
  • One lady has a nice singing voice.
  • Some of them tried so hard to be the most interesting person there; it almost hurt to watch them.
  • One person is sick.
  • Some of them remember every little detail.
  • Some people are no longer with us.
  • They all want to get together again soon.

    Things that I disliked most:
  • The envy that filled the air.
  • The alcohol consumption of some of the people.
  • The pictures that were taken, but I haven’t received yet.
  • The prejudice.
  • My poor memory.
  • The anger and bitterness. People…. If you don’t like your life, stop bitching and moaning….change it!!

    Things I liked best:
  • The strength and courage in some people.
  • The performance.
  • The food.
  • The company..
  • All in all…. an enjoyable day!


    Reasons to be cheerful:
    1. I am not like them! Hooray :)

    2. I just started up msn (for the first time in years) and had a nice chat with one of my old (msn) pals.

    3. I am soooo glad I live in the now.

    3 comments:

    dot said...

    Reunions are strange. I think the comment you made that I liked the most was that people remembered things so differently, as if you'd lived in a parallel universe. Perspective, and perception, is everything.

    You have a great attitude Dakota...it will serve you well.

    b o o said...

    u are not like them yayy :) i shall forever be a stick insect & have failing memory :p

    Dakota said...

    Thanks Paula *blush* :)

    Oh, maybe we are related Boo? ;)