Friday, March 24, 2006

A bad connection

A couple of weeks ago my home phone rang. Oh, how exciting ;) No, it isn’t, I know! So, my phone rang and I was in a strange mood and I decided to answer it. Yeah, I need to be in a strange mood to do that :) Why? Well, most of the time I screen my incoming calls. This doesn’t mean I’m paranoid or something, but most people call me on my mobile phone. When my home phone rings that usually mean that it’s just another person who wants to sell me something like a new mortgage, a paper, insurance, cable, you name it and they have it on offer.

But like I said, I answered my phone and on the other end was a lady and the conversation went something like this:

She: Hi, …e…a…s…d….r….t..w..g (garbled) and I’m looking for A……….(garbled) or Jo…………..(garbled)
Me: Sorry, can you repeat that please. We have a bad connection and I didn’t understand a thing you said.
She: ……e…a……s…d…r…t…w…g. (garbled again) and I’m looking for Anna or Josh?
Me: Oh! Well no Anna or Josh here! I think you’ve got the wrong number!
She: Okay, thanks! Bye!
Me: Bye!

Nothing strange so far, but this week I received a rather odd email from this lady I knew in highschool/secondary school, who is organising a reunion. According to this lady another lady had tried to contact me but that hadn’t worked out the way they had planned. So her questions to me: What went wrong, did you have a fight way back when? Was I no longer interested in the reunion? Huh! Where was all this coming from? For a long time I just sat in my chair staring at the email, totally flabbergasted! And this morning the other shoe dropped, a light went on, the quarter fell. That lady, the other day, wasn’t looking for Anna or Josh; it was Anna Josse a lady I went to school with so long ago………………..oops! :)

3 comments:

qaminante said...

Which just goes to show, people should e-mail rather than phone so that you have time to remember who the heck they are!

Dakota said...

My thoughts exactly, Qaminante

Phil said...

that's too funny.