Thursday, February 09, 2006

Oh, my god…..why on earth do I do things like that?

One of my 43T is: become a Wikipedia contributor. Great plan! So I signed up last week. As you all know I wasn’t in great shape then so I didn’t contribute anything. Well this is a new week, with new possibilities.....so, let's do it!

I intended to translate some articles to Dutch because the foreign Wikipedia’s are much more elaborate. Translating stuff still sounds like a great plan, now doesn’t it? But am I translating, of course not. No, instead I’m writing a whole article (in Dutch) about the history of handbags. Nothing weird about that, you might think, but here is the weird part………I DON’T EVEN LIKE HANDBAGS! If it is at all possible I don’t even use a handbag. Why not? Because: I like to have my hands free, they are always getting in the way, they are either too small - so all the things you need won’t fit, or the are too big - so you have to bring extra stuff because you don’t want to walk the streets with an almost empty bag. But let us forget unpractical handbags, back to writing the article. Believe it or not I’m actually researching the history of handbags; I even went to the library. I am learning things I didn’t want to know about handbags ;) It’s a horrible job, but somebody got to do it, it might as well be me. But the question remains: why on earth do I do things like that?

Oh and to make things even worse…. I did a handbag quiz. It's official: I'm losing my marbles :)



You Are a Classic Gucci Bag

You've got style mastered - because you stick with what works
Like this Gucci Bag, you prefer classic items that stand the test of time
You're also a bit of a practical girl, who prefers function over fluff
You prefer a big bag, so that you can have your stuff with you at all times

What Kind of Handbag Are You? Take This Quiz :-)



11 comments:

Phil said...

I'm this:
You Are A BCBG Black Leather Clutch
Don't ask...

qaminante said...

Haha, that will teach you! But you will probably learn some fascinating things, just think what conversations you can start at your next dinner party. I changed to a backpack some years ago - my bag has to be big enough to carry a book, several magazines, a notebook, and often files/homework, and carrying all that load on one shoulder was not doing me any good. But I still like handbags, I just don't use them.
Phil, I am sure you look most fetching with your black leather clutch!

kat said...

You are not alone. I am a classic Gucci handbag too - Not that I have ever bought a Gucci handbag.

qaminante said...

I'm wondering whether it's a joke - I just took the test and it turns out I'm a classic Gucci bag too, which strikes me as suspicious. Anyway, my fashion style (unsmart casual) doesn't figure among any of the possibilities given to choose between!

wanderingthinker said...

Another gucci bag. Hmm, don't ask, either....

Rayya Ghul said...

Damn - me too!!! But I tried it again and answered the questions the opposite to what I had/would and it came out as a Moschino Heart Bag which was pretty gorgeous actually! (To look at, I wouldn't be seen dead using it!)

That is an interesting project though! Good luck

Dakota said...

Okay I won’t ask Phil but I have to say this…. At least you’re different :)

I still have to find something fascinating about handbags qaminante. I haven’t found it yet :) Maybe a bagpack is a more interesting topic. Hmm… maybe I should even write about that next? No, I don’t think so!

Kat I don’t own a Gucci bag either. To be honest I don’t even like the bag that is shown in the picture.

Wow wanderingthinker you are the first guy who did the test and ended up with the Gucci bag :)

Glad you think its funny Stu at least one of us is laughing ;) But writing about something I don’t know isn’t that bad. As it turns out….the history of the handbag is pretty short :)

Thank you snowqueen and welcome to the ‘we all need a Gucci bag’-club.

zoom said...

I too am a classic Gucci. But like you Dakota, I am almost always empty-handed. I keep all my stuff in my pockets because I feel encumbered when I carry a purse. If I have to carry more than can fit in my pockets, I put it in a backpack. I don't even like the word 'purse.'

Dakota said...

Wow, another Gucci bag. Welcome to the club Zoom!. I’m a “stuff in my pocket” type of girl too. If it won’t fit, I have a range of backpacks to choose from :)

JuliaR said...

I am so fashion-challenged that I don't even know what the BCBGirls initials stand for (except I suppose, for the "g"). I got the BCBG leather clutch too. I have a couple of small purses (yeah, I don't like the word much either) but I mostly use a medium sized backpack because I walk everywhere.

Good for you for taking on this odd challenge! Will your entry be under "handbag" in Wikipedia? In English?

Dakota said...

Hmm…I must be fashion-challenged too, Juliar. Not a clue what BCBG means, so I googled it and found this: “Named for the French phrase Bon Chic, Bon Genre, a Parisian slang meaning: good style, good attitude”.

And my entry is in the Dutch Wikipedia under handtas :)