Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Come out, come out, wherever you are.

Today is NOT a writing day. I have about three or four stories in my head and none of them wants to come out…..It’s a bit like playing hide and seek with my thoughts. Silly, but true. When I start one story, another one tries to creep in…. so that is not working. Luckily I came across something completely different on bbc.co.uk to write about, so here it is.

Scientists to study speed dating

Scientists are planning to stage a mass speed dating experiment to discover whether opposites really do attract. They are seeking 200 people to take part in the event, which will be part of this year's Edinburgh International Science Festival in April.

The study is being carried out under the gaze of Professor Richard Wiseman of the University of Hertfordshire. "This is the first time that speed dating has been used to assess the psychology of compatibility," he said. "People often believe that they are good at predicting what types of people will get on with one another, and it will be interesting to see if they are correct."

The volunteers will be asked to complete a personality test, take part in a series of five minute meetings with potential suitors, then say how much they liked those they met.

It is hoped the data will show whether people with different personalities get on best, or whether similarity is the secret of success.

For me it’s true, opposites do attract…..can’t help it. It has always been that way and I’m not talking about taste in food, music or movies, I’m talking about hobbies, passions, opinions. I found that opposites can actually help a relationship by introducing each person to a whole new point of view. Or like they said in another article: contrasting personalities is a positive; nobody wants to date themselves, after all.

5 comments:

qaminante said...

Not sure I agree, although it may depend on the areas in which people are "opposites". I have a friend who was introduced to someone by another friend merely because they LOOKED (and to some extent, sounded) so similar! They have now been married for almost 25 years. I think a minimum of tastes in common is helpful, whereas if you don't both have the same qualities, these can be complementary.
It will be interesting to see the results of the experiment, anyway. It is a mystery to me why one feels drawn to certain people and not others - but then I would hate this to be reduced to a chemical formula anyway.
How's the handbag research coming along?!

wanderingthinker said...

Opposites do attract for the first time , but talking about succesfull relationships, I would say, that complementing qualities are more important, than beeing simple different from each other.

kat said...

I think opposites certainly attract but maintaining the relationship for any length of time is very difficult.

b o o said...

except for ego-maniacs :)

Dakota said...

You may disagree qaminante I’ve been in a relationship with someone just like me and it got boring pretty quick. It all depends on the people involved, I think. I have to agree with you on one thing though; basic similarities can be very helpful. :) Maybe I just need more of a challenge….who knows. It’s all a mystery to me :)

Thanks for asking about the handbag research….. all finished for now, I wrote it and it’s on Wikipedia now :)

wanderingthinker, you just solved part of the mystery. Now I know why I don’t have successful relationships. Just kidding! Complementing qualities are important too.

I know it’s very difficult Kat. Been there, done that…..even got the t-shirt :)

It’s a real balancing act Zoom! and you are right, being mature ;) makes it all more difficult. I also noticed that people (of every age), who haven’t been in a relationship for some time, aren’t willing to give up their ways. That makes it even more complicated.

boo, who would want a egomaniac?