Monday, February 27, 2006

Is age difference still an issue?

The other day I saw this movie called Prime and the story is rather simple actually: Uma Thurman plays Rafi, a 37-year-old successful fashion/business-woman. She just got divorced and is seeing a therapist (Meryl Streep) for that. One night, at the movies, she meets David, a 23-year-old with a not so interesting job and some amazing painting skills. The first encounter leads to a first date, the first date to a first kiss and... once again Cupid fires off two direct hits. Little do they now about the mutual person (Meryl Streep) running around in their lives who'll soon find out about their relationship. I liked this movie a lot but this is not going to be a movie review, I rather like to talk about the age-difference thingy. Is this really still an issue?

When a guy is in his fifties and she is thirty, the guy gets congratulated but when a fifty year old woman falls in love with a thirty year old guy, there must be something wrong with the both of them. She is a “cradle robber”, he finally found the mother he’d never had. I believe there are people who enter into a relationship for all the wrong reasons (financial reasons, psychological problems), but I also believe that there are many people who truly fall in love with those who are much younger or older than themselves.

Although it is a fact that most of us will develop a key relationship with someone who is within three years of our own age, there are those who will go far beyond that standard. Is this wrong? No I don’t think so; in fact I believe that such a relationship can be very fulfilling when both parties really care about each other and love each other. Age difference is just another type of committed relationships that make up the fabric of our society. Man divided the years into 365 days, but he did not hinder some women from being younger at forty than others are at twenty, and some men from being older at twenty than some men at fifty.

I really like this thing one of my friends always says about love and falling in love “I don’t fall in love with a gender or an age; I fall in love with a person”. I can only say: hear, hear!

7 comments:

kat said...

If people of different ages want to get together it is their business. I don't think it is wrong at all but it may cause problems when one of the partners reaches old age and is unable to join in with the same activities.

Phil said...

I don't see any problem with it at all. My first two relationships were with older women. Like Stu said, as long as your not committing a felony, it's not a problem. I also agree with your friend, you fall in love with a person, not an age (or a gender)

b o o said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
b o o said...

10 years between boo & her darling. i'm the older one. 'nuff said.

Dakota said...

First of all I want to make something clear. In this case I was talking about consenting adults, not about felonies or minors :) Now that that’s out of the way, I can respond to your comments once again………woohoo :)

You are so right Kat, it’s their business and it can cause problems, but I know people who are in this sort of relationships and somehow they always seem to conquer any problem they come across.

Older outlook? I never noticed that, Stu ;) Maybe you are one of those people with an old soul!

My friend is a free spirit Phil

Been there, done that boo :) I hope you are really happy :D

Tran said...

It would be great to say that we’re beyond all these things, but the fact is – we aren’t. I’m almost 30, and the last few people I dated were 7 to 10 years younger [because I look like I should be 20], and it didn’t matter when we were alone. The problems started when we were in one another’s social circles. My friends not being able to relate because these women were so far removed from their life, and I was the same way for them, because a mortgage, a career, and waking up at 6 AM was something that only their parents were doing. It’s not the age that’s the hindrance, it’s the environment – it’s the external factors. So my question is – which is worse?

Dakota said...

Thanks for you comment tran. My social circle consist of all sorts of people, man, woman, young, old, gay, straight, autochthon and allochthone. Luckily they are very open minded people, so I don’t have the problems you are having. The older ones still remember what it is like to be young and living carefree without responsibilities and the younger ones have no problem relating to the older ones because they are not from another planet or something…… they know their world is going to chance pretty soon. But hey, I live in another part of the world; maybe people here are a bit different :)