Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mind, Body & Soul Session (#30)

Create your own happiness.

Every day can turn in a horrible day and any day can have its share of buzz kills. Your car wouldn’t start in the morning, you missed the bus to work, you lost your cell phone, had to deal with screaming clients (colleagues, kids or partner), your computer isn’t willing to cooperate or maybe you just got out of the wrong side of the bed. When nothing seems to go right, try to put a more positive spin on things by asking yourself these four questions:

1. Will this last forever?
Rarely things will last forever! So, give yourself a "this too shall pass" perspective and take control. Feeling helpless will get you nowhere, or maybe I should say: feeling helpless will get you depressed. So, take control and you’ll feel more energetic and cheerful. Remember: nothing lasts forever!

2. Will I remember this day/event a week from now, a month from now, a year from now?
In other words, how significant is this event? When you ask yourself the “will I remember” question you will probably notice that you forget stuff a lot sooner then you think. For instance: can you remember what you were doing last Sunday at this exact time? Or what you were doing on 18th of January? Or let’s go back even further: what you were doing on the 18th of February 2006?

3. Can something good come out of this?
Never forget that tough situations or bad days usually have an upside too, whether it’s making you stronger or forcing you to treat yourself. Even if you can’t see it in an instant, try to look for it anyway.

4. What have I done to get through other awful situations/days?
Recall past strategies that have worked for you. So, what did you do? Did you call a friend? Treated yourself to something you really wanted? Did you write about it? Did you do something that made you cheerful? Did you have some ice-cream? It doesn’t matter what it was as long as it made you happier! Remembering what works for you can expel all the depressing feelings you might have.

Go ahead, create and be happy!

6 comments:

KJ's muse said...

I saw a quote just yesterday saying something to the effect of, "Even when you don't have happiness, you can always give happiness."

It's the little things (often computer-related, LOL) that usually make me lose my temper, so I'll have to try and remember #2 more often.

Dakota said...

Thanks for sharing that quote, KJ’s Muse, I love it!

#2 helped me a lot in the past. I used to stress about everything, nah almost everything, and could easily lose my temper when (little) things went wrong. I’m glad I’m not like that anymore.

The other tips work wonders too, just give them a try when you need them :)

Anonymous said...

Sometimes, especially with physical discomfort, it is hard to believe it won't last forever

Phil said...

Yeah, it's all about perspective really, but when you are down it always seems much worse than it really is, yet somehow I never learn - odd! :[]

b o o said...

i'd call u if i could :) hope your friend is doing better :)

Dakota said...

Oh I totally agree with you, Lord Hutton. It’s hard when you’ve got physical discomfort, but even that can’t last forever. It can feel like forever though!

All I can say is keep trying, DoGGa. I know it’s hard, especially when you are down, but you can do it. Just don’t give up! :)

Ah thank you {{Boo}} :) I’ll post something about my friend later today.