Thursday, February 15, 2007

Grannies bloomers

Aoj had a nice little post earlier this week about her new black underwear and that made think of a question I asked myself last week.

I was at a lingerie store at the time and they were having a sale. Of course I couldn’t resist! So I went in to check if they had anything good on sale, but they hadn’t. All the good stuff was gone already……bummer! All that was left were itchy bras and something I like to call skin tone granny-panties (the kind that go past the belly button). Not really my thing!

I actually have underwear for every mood, activity and/or occasion but I don’t own any granny panties. So, I stood there for a while wondering if it was time to buy granny-panties yet, because honestly when are you old enough to start buying granny-panties?

When I was younger I always thought that there would come a time when you were going to start wearing big enormous knickers. At one point, I even thought that the time would come when you hit thirty. But thirty came and went and now, ten years later, I am still not wearing them. In my opinion they are just too big, too unpractical, too ugly…..hmmz… long story short, there is just way toooooo much fabric involved. So, again I couldn’t bring myself to buy any of them. Just to comfort myself I was almost tempted to buy something really sexy, but I didn’t! In the end I left the store without any new underwear but with a question to ponder about.

When (and why) do women start wearing granny-panties?

Is it after the menopause? Is it time when you are 50 or, is 60 more appropriate? Is it just a comfort thing? Is the time right when you are starting to feel old? Or should you start wearing them when you don’t feel sexy anymore? Or is it when you feel you can’t wear designer underwear anymore? I’ve been thinking about the question (I’ve to keep myself busy at the moment) for quite some time now and I still couldn't come up with an answer. As usual thinking about one question provided me with even more questions!
So, what do you think? Do you now the answer?

Oh and I was wondering……Is there a male version too? Is there such a thing as gramps-underwear?

9 comments:

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I've started something here haven't I!?

When everything spreads so much that only granny knickers will cover everything!

Phil said...

What's going on with underwear conversations? As well as AOJ, it's been the topic of discussion several times for me this week :]
As I've said before, I like those short-type pants or boy-pants on women... The frilly, lacey numbers, or thongs do nowt for me!
Maybe it's time you went commando / au natural for a while?
I like to *naughty*

Yes, there is a male equivelant, and we call them 'dad pants' and they tend to take on the form of very large white Y-fronts!!!

Phil said...

P.S. I spent far too long on the Marlies Dekkers website *hot-flush*

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

Down boy!

KJ's muse said...

Comfort. Comfort is key. Comfort is all.

Right now my favourite underwear are my Sloggi's, but thankfully they're not full-brief yet. Yet! ;)

Andre Veloux said...

Well I know my 70 year old mother wheres these big sloggi things, that look like what you are describing. I think they sort of keep in her tummy. Well at least hide it.

Really Dakota, underwear for "every" occasion? The mind boggles.

Anonymous said...

When I want to feel good I wear my lucky underpants. But I love that word 'knickers.' I think I'm going to start calling them my lucky knickers from now on.

Oh, and as for the original question: comfort is everything. I have a variety of knickers in my knicker drawer, and I like the bikinis and granny pants equally because they're both comfortable. It has nothing to do with age or size: I wore granny pants when I was in my twenties and weighed a hundred pounds.

I don't like underwear that reminds me of itself throughout the day. Like thongs.

Dakota said...

Yeah, you did Aoj but that’s okay….you’re an inspiration :)

But why should women want to cover everything……covering everything up actually accentuate everything.

Oh, I like the boxer-type knickers too, DoGGa especially black ones….don’t know why. It’s probably because I like black clothes too!
Hmmz…. commando hey?! That is quite an interesting idea. Not always practical though! Thanks for the ‘dad pants’ info. Not sure if I ever want to see those up close and personal.

Lol! The link to the Marlies Dekkers site was a sneaky bit of Holland promotion, DoGGa. Glad you enjoyed yourself…..some of my male friends find it more interesting (or should I say more tasteful) than Playboy ;)

Lol Aoj

All underwear can be comfy KJ’s Muse, women just need to buy the right size. A lot of women buy smaller sizes because they don’t want to face their real size. Sloggi’s can be quite nice too, just as long as they don’t reach up to your chin :)

It’s probably a girly thing, Andre. Man can wear one type of boxers all their life! Women, or maybe only this woman, need special underwear for certain occasions ;)

I totally agree with you, Zoom! The less you notice your underwear the better. It’s best when you don’t feel it at all ……hmmz… maybe going commando isn’t a bad idea ;)

Thanks all for all your input :)

mist1 said...

How will I know that it's time for me to retire my tiny slutty panties? I don't want to be one of those little old ladies who has been wearing my hair in the same style for half a century and still wears thongs.