Friday, April 14, 2006

Why don’t people just say what they mean?

Wouldn’t life be a lot less complicated if people would just say what they mean? Or use more words to state what they mean? Very few people say what they mean. Most people talk in a kind of code and if you listen you will start to crack the code. That works well in day to day life, but when it comes to the cyberworld it’s a whole different story. First of all you can’t listen :) People seem to think that they can express themselves in the same way as they do every day. They totally forget that you can’t pick up any nuances, see their face or whatever. Things like “Do you have any plans this weekend?” can mean anything when it is stated in an email. Someone could just be inquiring, but it can also mean: If you aren’t doing anything maybe we can meet up.

And now there is this new phenomenon. Lately people seem to think that when they send me just a picture or a single word I know what they mean, but I don’t. Maybe I’m just plain dim ;) or maybe they expect me to be psychic (by now) or something.

Earlier this week I received an email with only these 3 words in it: “Murder Mystery Dinner?” I haven’t got a clue what this person is trying to tell me with these 3 words. Is there going to be a Murder Mystery Dinner? Am I invited to a Murder Mystery Dinner? Do they want to know if I know what a Murder Mystery Dinner is? Are they going to kill me mysteriously at the next dinner party? Hmmm… that’s probably it ;)

Another example. Recently someone sent me this picture of a cup of cappuccino with only these words to accompany the picture: “Cup of cappuccino”. I could only utter: Duh! Later I thought about this some more. Why did this person send me the picture of a cappuccino? Did this person want to go out for coffee? Did this person want to express an extreme love for coffee? Or did this person thought that it was a nice picture to send to a coffee addict like me?

It would be so much easier if they just emailed me with straightforward questions like:
- Would you be interested to go to a Murder Mystery Dinner?
or
- Lets go out for coffee?

But no, today I received another mysterious email. The contents of this one: “I found it”. Not a clue what they are talking about.

It is all so simple…..just say what you mean and use words ……lots and lots of beautiful words *sigh* I don’t like to solve puzzles all the time.

6 comments:

kat said...

LOL. Sometimes I ring people up and say "I've got your email but I don't know what you are talking about".
I used to get some very strange emails from a previous boss but I think it was just his way of getting me to contact him. :-)

b o o said...

i presume they were both men :p alritey i'll tell u like it is. you're a difficult woman but i love u just the way u are & if i could i would take u out for a cappucino. there u have it :)

Dakota said...

LOL Kat. Sometimes I really believe that people just sent these riddles so you need to contact them one way or another.

Hahaha Boo. You are wrong. I got these mails from 2 ladies and a guy. And ehmmmm… I am not difficult ;)
If I’m ever in your neighbourhood, we go out for coffee :)

Dakota said...

Nope, I didn’t know the Victor Hugo story, Stu. Thanks for sharing :)

And I know text messaging with single letters and stuff works, but everybody involved needs to understand the code or the context. When I text my friend DVD she knows what I mean, she’ll be standing on my doorstep (with popcorn) in minutes :) But these emails were from people I hardly speak or see which makes it a bit more complicated.

zoom said...

I know what the cappucino picture meant - the heart gave it away. Some guy's wearing his heart on his email.

Dakota said...

Oh Zoom! Do you think? I do hope that is not the case ;)
Time will tell I guess!