Monday, April 24, 2006

The gathering and other stuff

My friends and I have this ritual. Every year we get together (for drinks and a barbeque or something) to officially open the season. Which season? What kind of season? Beats me, one calls it the hunting seasons (yeah, he is single), another calls it the outdoor season (she’s sporty spice) and yet another one calls it the best season of the year (that’s the beach bum). In my case this season has a lot to do with being outdoors (picnics, festivals, hikes, bike rides, going to the beach and so on) and enjoying the company of my friends. So to start this all off, we get together on the first day the weatherman predict a temperature of 20º C (68º F). Last weekend this was supposed to happen, but it didn’t. We got together, checked the thermometer just to find out it didn’t barely reached 15º C. Bummer! No official opening of the season…..not yet anyway! Still, we had a great evening.

One of the things I like most about my friends is that we can talk about anything and everything. We all have very different backgrounds and views so discussions can go any direction. Some of the topics last weekend:

If you had to give up two of these four things to get the other two which two would you give up? The four things are love, sex, money, alcohol?

If there was any form of timekeeping in heaven (assuming there is such a place), wouldn’t it be actually more like hell(assuming there is such a place)? According to one of my friends it would be more like hell, because when you are the first to die you would have to wait a very long time before anyone else might join you.

Would you be upset if anyone you know would choose to be naked in a coffin? After they have died that is, not just as a prank or something. This one might need some explaining. Last week I was watching this beautiful programme called “Over my dead body” (Over mijn lijk). To make this programme, they followed five young people (ages between 20 and 35) for a year. All of them have cancer and lets be honest prognoses weren’t that great when the programme started. So, one of the young women (and her husband) visited a crematorium/funeral home because she wanted to know more about it. At some point she asked the funeral guy about viewings. He told her there were two possibilities: ‘The viewing is either "open casket", in which the body of the deceased has been clothed and treated with cosmetics for display; or "closed casket", in which the coffin is closed.’ Out of the blue she asked him if she could be naked in the casket if she wanted that. The guy was at a loss for words, he had never heard that question before. He was totally gob smacked and stammered something like ‘well, maybe other people wouldn’t like to view you like that’. She retorted with ‘I think it would be a nice idea. You come in this world naked and leave it naked’

Feel free to discuss, or not :)

But back to the ritual, because it wasn’t 20º C we have to do it all over again. Bummer! No…… of course not! It will mean another night spend in the company of extreme nice friends, with interesting discussions and a lot of laughter.

4 comments:

qaminante said...

What a great idea - I suppose you are celebrating the real end of Winter. If you have a false start, do you have to celebrate twice? On the interesting subjects you discussed, my thoughts are
1) I would give up sex and alcohol to have love and money - not that "give up" is quite the right expression in my case (I hardly drink....)!
2) I take it your friend has not lost any friends or relatives yet, or perhaps she thinks they aren't in Heaven?! Anyway, as timekeeping is hell for some people and heaven for others, presumably we would all experience different ones!
3) I've only come across the open coffin phenomenon in American movies. I can't imagine any public authority here allowing a naked dead person to be displayed: if not dressed, the body would certainly be covered e.g. with a sheet or flowers. I wouldn't much want to see a naked dead person, any more than I would want to see them being born..!

kat said...

Sex and money?

It seems I've already given them up, Dakota. :-))

b o o said...

i go with the nekkid idea :)

Dakota said...

Yeah, we could be celebrating the end of winter Qaminante. Strangely enough I never gave it that much thought. And no, we don’t have to celebrate it twice, but most of the time we do :)

You made an interesting choice. No sex and no alcohol. Alcohol would be an easy choice for me too; I don’t drink all that much :) I am still not quite sure about the other one, still thinking about that. Sometimes I think I would give up money because I don’t have a lot of that right now and I’m still happy

My friend has lost her twin sister a long time ago and she was the first to die. So, my friend sometimes wonders if she is in heaven waiting…. All alone! (Btw my friend I very unsure about her religious beliefs right now, so she is asking very strange (and sometimes very rude) question about it).

In the Netherlands we have viewings with an open or closed coffin; people can choose.
I wouldn’t mind to see someone naked if that was one of their last wishes.

Lol Kat! I know exactly what you mean :)

Surprise, surprise Boo I already thought you would dig that idea :)