Sunday, September 25, 2005

Huh…. What’s growing there?

Just two weeks ago, I noticed something new in my garden. Huh… what was growing there? At that moment it was nothing more then a twig-like thingy with two very little leaves. Hmm.. what to do? Remove it or let it visit for awhile? Oh well, I choose the latter, autumn is coming and a little green visitor is very welcome.

The last two weeks I’ve been following its progress. From just a twig to this in two weeks, that’s what I call rapid growth. Now there is only one thing that needs doing and that is figure out what this is. I can only think of one thing.
About a year ago I ate an avocado (I eat them on a regular basis but this one is significant for the story) and was admiring the seeds. I’m still amazed about the fact that one seeds holds a whole blueprint for new life. Somehow it transported me back to my childhood days. I used to plant all sort of seeds in little containers and it was really exiting to see things grow (and disappointing when nothing happened). Why not do that again?! And I did, but instead of using a container I just put the seed in the ground.

And now, more then one year later, there is something growing in almost the exact spot. Could it be? Not a clue. I searched the net but I can not find a picture of a small avocadotree. If it is, it would almost be a miracle. According to different sources the avocado tree does not tolerate freezing temperatures, and can only be grown in subtropical and tropical climates. You can call the Dutch climate several things but subtropical or tropical are not among them. I guess I just have to be patient. Someday I will probably know what this lovely twig like thingy is.

No comments: