Monday, September 19, 2005

The Golden Compass


At first I didn’t know what to think of this book, but after the first few pages I was hooked. The story and the characters are GREAT. The Golden Compass is a quite refreshing book that combines science-fiction and fantasy. Funnily enough, this book is marked as a thriller at my library.

The story follows a young girl, Lyra, and her daemon (a soul-like companion) Pantalaimon, on an adventure that spans many worlds and characters. Here is the synopsis of this book: Lyra lives at Jordan College in Oxford, where all she wants to do is play with the boys and run away from the scholars. One day when she sneaks into the Retiring Room, she witnesses something about the mysterious particle Dust, and thus will be taken on an adventure to the North. Along the way she'll meet witches and armored bears and have to deal with the Gobblers, who have been stealing children and have been doing "experiments" on them.

Sure, it might be "for kids" but I can't see why it's for kids. A compromise then: This book is suitable for kids from 8 to 80.

Conclusion: Before I started this book, I had no intension of reading the whole trilogy. Now, I think I’ll probably read The Subtle knife and The Amber Spyglass as well.

No comments: