Thursday, September 14, 2006

And now for something completely different... ...

The last couple of days I’ve been feeling a bit down for various reasons. I’m not going to name them all today, because one semi-depressed person in the world is one person to many already. And hey, I know this will pass, and I know I’ll not “cross to the dark side of the street”, this is life! Life, with its ups and downs.

One thing that really depressed me these last couple of days is the whole 9/11 disaster. It’s kind of strange, but I am starting to believe that I am one of the few people who can’t remember what I was doing that day. I think I was at work. I remember the special news bulletin on the radio and I can still hear the tone of disbelieve in the newsreaders voice. The rest of the day I was glued to the TV and radio thinking that this wasn’t happening, but it was. One other thing I do remember from that day was the strange silence. I remember going home, travelling on public transport and everybody was bizarrely quiet. Anyway I spend the day in a daze, feeling confused,sad and above all shocked.

Today, 5 years later, new facts about this disaster can still shock me. They say that seeing things over and over again can numb you, but not in this case. I can still be blown away by the videos, the photos of people jumping from the Twin Towers and the transcripts. But there is another side to it all too. I can also get very angry. Angry, when I watch stuff like Fahrenheit 9/11 or Loose Change (available on Google video). Loose Change is a conspiracy theory documentary, I know, but stuff like that always makes me wonder…..what if only 1% of the presented "facts" are true? I would still be appalled, horrified and shocked! But who is to say that it is all BS? Bush? Who, in is right mind, still believes that geezer? The guy who’s been telling the world that there are no, I repeat NO, secret CIA prisons for months now and then one day wakes up and tells the world that there are CIA prisons…….Oops! (must have slipped his mind). The same guy who started the “war on terror” or was it the war for oil? Sorry, I am still a bit confused about that war! The same bloke who said "this war will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped and defeated”. Brilliant choice of words! He is actually saying we will be in a state of everlasting war because terrorist groups will continue to arise indefinitely. Smart move!

Anyway, today I’ll think of the approximately 4,319 victims of terrorist attacks and the roughly 92,469 people killed in the “war on terrorism” once more. After today I’ll try to close the book for another year. This will not mean I’ll forget, but I need to create some distance……. I don’t want to move to “the dark side of the street” indefinitely!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, it's just me. As good as I understand your frustration with the aftermath of 9/11, as more important I see it as a crucial learning point. It's not time to be depressed, it's time to work against this bullshit. Meaning, the open lies, the consequent pursuit of the fight for oil (the real reason), instead of the necessary fight against terrorism (the public reason) and it's moralistic, economic an political base. I think it's time to question and to nail our politicians for truth and morality in their decisions.

Another interesting field of activtiy would be to solve the question, what will be the set of values of the west, that will be an attractive and trustfull alternative to the islamistic terrorist mindset. What could we offer to the people.

Dakota said...

Hi, there Wanderingthinker. Nice to see you again :)
You are so right; I shouldn’t be depressed, it’s time for some sort of action. One problem though, I am not quite sure what I personaly can do. I guess I need to think about that :) Funny, every time we “meet”, you make me think….. and that’s great! :)

Anonymous said...

It's just oil, they couldn't let the sanctions continue against Iraq while they had the 3rd largest oil reserves in the world resting there unused. Imagine, what would have happened if most of the oil left in the world had been in Iraq?

They had to go and rape that country for what they wanted. Thats US foreign policy for you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Dakota.

Dakota said...

Hmm… “what would have happened if most of the oil left in the world had been in Iraq?” I don’t think I want to think about that, Andre. But all of a sudden the pressure on Iran is starting to make a lot more sense. Well, sense isn’t the right word here….It doesn’t make sense to me, it makes me sick! Bush is just looking for another reason (read lie)….ehm excuse to invade another country. We don’t need another war in the world!

Thanks Zoom!

Phil said...

I was shocked on 9/11 and remember exactly what I was doing. I was in the city this past Monday adn I was in contact with many people. Not one of us brought up the subject. I'll never forget that day, ever.
Now fast forward to the present. I don't trust the administration we have here in America. I was more gun-ho going after the Taliban and Al Qaeda but how the hell we wound up in Iraq is beyond me. We made a major mistake and Bush & Blair will never admit it.

Sorry you are feeling blue, I hope you're doing better

Dakota said...

I wish I could remember more of my 9/11 day, Phil but I guess I was just too shocked! To be honest I think it’s kind of strange that people don’t talk about it in the USA, but I guess it’s all just too painful. So maybe it’s understandable too.

I don’t trust your administration either and maybe it’s time to give George Walker his walking papers :) We did send ours home and there will be elections in November. Hopefully the Dutch people will vote sensibly this time around.

Actually, I am feeling better Phil :)

Phil said...

For right or wrong, I tried not to think about 9/11 too much, as it winds me up and makes loose that secure feeling.
George Bush is a complete $%*& and so is Tony Blair for following him up in this stuff - rant over!

I know how you feel trying not to stray to the dark side of the street, but yes it will pass Dakota, chin up for a little while longer me dear!!! :)

Dakota said...

Thanks for those encouraging words, DoGGa. At the moment it feels like I keep crossing the road over and over again, one day it’s sunny and the next it’s all cloudy again…..hmmz that almost sounds like the weather these days:)

I don’t think it’s right or wrong to think or not think about 9/11. Do whatever makes you feel most secure :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much. If I make people thinking, the first part of my job has been done, then comes the next important part: to make them act.

If you are looking for some mindchanging tips, don't look further than here: Robert Fritz, Path of Least Resistance: Learning to Become the Creative Force in Your Own Life.

This book changed me definitely.

Dakota said...

Hooray….another book to put on my to-read list!

Thanks, Wanderingthinker :)

Anonymous said...

My last suggestion, hasn't had the intention to enlarge the pile of books besides your bed, in contrast, it really saves space! It saves metres of so-called self-help books, and it isn't really much to read. Unfortunately it presents a lot of food for thought, which makes it a slow read.

Give it a try! It may change your life, as it has given mine the needed kick in the right direction to create something instead of analyse everything.

Dakota said...

It’s okay, Wanderingthinker. I don’t have any self-help books on my to-read pile at the moment. I actually haven’t read one for a while now :) I am reading “This book will save your life” at the moment, but it’s a novel :)

I certainly will give your suggestion a try, I just found out it’s available at my library!