Friday, March 23, 2007

Weekly finds – part 11.

Two interesting sites for people who like to travel:

The Grand Canyon Skywalk is a new glass bridge at the Grand Canyon. According to the site: “The Skywalk will be the first-ever cantilever shaped glass walkway to suspend more than 4,000 feet above the canyon’s floor and extend 70 feet from the canyon’s rim.” Brrr Scary!!!. I don’t think it’s the thing for me, it tried to hike down the canyon once and it wasn’t a huge hit! So, would you take a walk on it?

Going to visit a hip and happening city any time soon, then this might interest you. "Hotchpots.com is a well-organized and critical internet guide with only the most special restaurants in big cities. Hotchpots.com has a team of local spotters in eight cities already, who visit and describe new and special restaurants each week. From trendy club restaurants to crazy luncheon spots." Check it out before you travel because everyone needs to eat somewhere :)

And now something completely different for all the people who never want to stop learning: Free University Lectures . Categories: Physics, computer science, mathematics and a faculty mix.






And of course we can’t live without a bit of (strange) Art. Have you seen this?










I am going to skip the video-post this week, so maybe this site will be entertaining enough for you: Games for the Brain. “Play never-ending quizzes, memory & brain games to train your thinking”

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh... that's amazing... it was only about 2 days ago that I searched for open lectures for the first time ever :) - it came about beacause I read in "Surely You're Joking Mr. Fenyman" about how he used to visit the lectures of different subjects studied by his fraternity, and that reminded me that I occasionally went to Biology lectures at university.

So I thought I'd see what's out there... not a huge amount, but interesting stuff! I already found one (not free, though) by one of my photographic idols, Martin Parr. I'll be going to that in the Autumn.

KJ's muse said...

Walk on the Skywalk? Absolutely not!!

Dakota said...

Oh my, what a coincidence, Stu. I don’t think they have any photographic stuff on this site but I’ll keep an eye out.

Thank you, acwo

It’s not really my thing either, KJ’s Muse

Phil said...

that Grand Canyon thing looks so cool. That is one place of many that I'd love to visit

Phil said...

Ooh, that Grand Canyon Skywalk looks scary! It's not as a high as the balcony at Jungfraujoch at over 11,000ft but is still scary 'cos of how far it juts out *shudder*
The uni lectures are a great find! thanks for sharing :]
Tom sauce art... It's very good and I lurve tom sauce - I'm going to try my own on my next meal!

Dakota said...

The Grand Canyon really is breathtaking and surely worth a visit, Phil
Nice to see you again. I hope you are feeling better :)

Lol, DoGGa. I would like to see a picture of your tom-art :)
As for the skywalk: My thoughts exactly!

kat said...

I am a bit behind in reading blogs at the moment, but thanks for the list of lectures - I'm sure I will be able to find something useful in there.

Dakota said...

You’re just a busy girl, Kat :)