Sunday, March 11, 2007

Mind, Body & Soul Sessions (#32)

Live in the here and now.

Here is a shocking fact: 92 percent of the time most of us are either living in the future or the past and forget about the here and now. We anticipate future events, worry or think about them and are busy making plans. On the other hand we can regret previous decisions, can’t stop thinking about mistakes or mishaps, or keep thinking about how life was better way back when……

It’s a shame to discover that most of us are engaged in the here and now only 8 percent of our waking hours. Does that mean that you should stop making plans? No, of course not! You got to have things to look forward to, but I would like to suggest you stop dwelling on previous stuff. You can’t change the past (okay you can change the way you feel about past events, but that’s a different story), but you can ruin the present and future by worrying about the past. So maybe it’s time to let go and step into the here and now! Today: try to focus on the here and now for a day and see how it feels, after all it’s like John Lennon once said “Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans”.

7 comments:

b o o said...

beautifil beautifil beautiful beautiful boy :)

thanks for reminding me not to let the moment slip by (again)

p/s hope yur feeling better HUGS

Anonymous said...

That would be easier if I wasnt stuck in this office

Phil said...

I have all sorts of regrets. I'm terrible for beating myself up over even minor things I'm not happy with. It really gets me down and I have no idea how to stop regretting everything I do :[

Dakota said...

My pleasure, beautiful Boo :)

And thanks for asking, I am feeling much better! Must be the spring-like weather we are having :)

Well give it a go next weekend, Lord Hutton

Sorry to hear that, DoGGa :(. I wish I could help you but since I have no idea what sort of thing(s) you are struggling with it is kind of hard to offer any advice. Maybe you should go to the root of the problem? Did you ever asked yourself why you can’t stop beating yourself up? Why you can’t stop regretting?

I’ve asked myself these questions too (believe me, I was a beat-myself-up pro!) and this quote really says it all: "Why do I keep beating myself up with a hammer? Because it feels so good...when I stop." ~Grey's Anatomy.
Your answer will probably be different but that’s okay. Finding the answer might mean that you can give yourself permission to move on, to let go, to stop clinging to negative feelings and change the way you interpret and respond to things. Oh and don’t worry if it takes some time to figure this out…..because you will figure this out!
I hope this makes any sense, if not…..I am only one email away :)

Phil said...

Aw, thanks Dakota... That's really nice of you.

Regret is a big problem in my life and it's been building for years, but it's probably the worst it's ever been nowadays.
I'm looking forward to the day I can stop beating myself with that hammer :[]

Andre Veloux said...

You gotta look to the future, learn from the past and live in the now!

Dogga: get a grip. You can't change the past but you can change the future.

Dakota said...

Try to find the answers and that future might be nearer then you think, DoGGa :)

You sound like Dr. Phil now, Andre :)
But you are right though!