Sunday, December 17, 2006

Dad.

For those of you who expect a Mind, Body & Soul Session today, I’ve a bit of disappointing news: I am not posting any session today. Why not? Well, today is a bit of a different day for me. On this date, December 17th, in the year 1928, my Dad was born. So, today he would have turned 78. I often wonder what he would look like today. I guess he would look older, his hair would be grey, but in essence he would be the same remarkable man (or at least I hope so). We had an amazing and loving relationship and I often wonder what kind of relationship we would have had if he was still alive. Maybe it all would have changed over the years, like the relationship with my Mum has changed too. When I was young, me and my Mum couldn’t get along, but we are doing pretty okay now.

In the twenty years since his passing, there have been times when I wished painfully that my Dad could be a part of my life. Times when I wanted to hug him, share some exciting news with him, ask for his advice or just have a chat. I’ve done and seen a lot of things. Many things have changed and some have stayed the same……. I still miss my Dad very much. Today was his birthday. He was remarkable man, a loving Dad and husband and extraordinary friend. I didn't have my Dad long enough but I am very thankful I had him as long as I did.

Last year I wrote a message to my Dad and everything in there still applies, so I am not going to write another one. Instead I want to share a song (Dad by K's Choice) with you (for a limited time only*). A song that always reminds me of my Dad, a song I know by heart, a song that sometimes makes me cry and other times makes me smile, a song that I love.....

Dad……. I LOVE you!

* I have removed the mp3, but if you are interested , you can still find the song on You Tube where it was used in a video (not mine)

10 comments:

Phil said...

Aw, sorry to hear this Dakota :[
I hope it doesn't get you down too much, especailly at this time of year.
Anyhow, you can share my dad with me, as he can talk the hind legs off a donkey, so there's plenty to go around! :]

Andre Veloux said...

I would do anything to see my Dad again. You grow up and still you never imagine anything happening to your parents, and when you lose one (or both) of them you realise how much of your life was and still is built upon them.

b o o said...

.... HUGSS

Dakota said...

And they still say: men are not emotional, Lord Hutton……

It’s comes and it goes, DoGGa. His birthday and Christmas Day are always a bit weird. A lot of good memories though, they will keep me going and get me through the days.

Thanks for offering to share your Dad, sounds like fun :) I hope you told him you are going to share him with me :)

I totally know what you mean, Andre. In the back of my mind I always knew my parents could die, but I never expected it to be so sudden (and at such a young age). I hope you have a lot of memories to look back on!

Thank you, sweet {{Boo}}

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a good dad, and I bet he'd be very proud of how you've turned out dakota.

I think it's great that you still celebrate his life.

Andre Veloux said...

Yeah Zoom has it right, your Dad was and still would be very proud of you Dakota.

kat said...

{{{Dakota}}} Big hugs.

Anonymous said...

My father died 24 years ago. I still miss him like it was yesterday.

Big hugs, Dakota xx

Phil said...

Yeah, I'm seeing him tomorrow, so I'll inform him he's just gained a virtual daughter :]

Dakota said...

He was an amazing guy and a wonderful Dad, Zoom! so it’s very hard to not celebrate his life :).

Thanks for the kind words, {{{Zoom!}}} and {{{Andre}}}. I really do hope he is proud :)

Big hugs right back at ya, {{{Kat}}} :)

Ah, sorry to hear that, {{{Snowqueen}}}. Missing a loved one can really suck, especially this time of year. Take care!

Oh my! Please, say hello to my newly acquired “Dad”, {{{DoGGa}}} :)