Thursday, December 14, 2006

Should I stay or should I go?

Blogger really has been getting on my nerves lately. On certain (or should that be uncertain?) day's people can’t log in, the next day others can’t log in, and on the third day I can’t log in or post a comment on other blogs. This is starting to drive me mad. So, recently I’ve been thinking about moving my blog.

Since Snowqueen’s move, I’ve been reading more Wordpress blogs and I like what I see. I like the variety of templates they offer, the clean look most blogs have and the fact that visitors don’t have to become a member when they want to leave a comment. One of the other things I like are “pages”, I think that is one of the things Blogger is still missing. Oh, and did I mentioned that you can import your blog. Actually when I am looking at Wordpress I can’t seem to find anything wrong with it. Do you?

Another option is VOX – a fairly new service, or at least I think it’s fairly new. Some people over on 43T have asked me to join but I still haven’t done it yet. There are a few things I like about VOX. For instance, I like the fact that you can post video and audio files without a lot of hassle and you can also put your books and collections on there just as easily. They have lovely templates and when you are a member you are part of a large international community. Nice, but I think I am part of an international community already! What I don’t like is the fact that only members can comment, that would mean that you, my readers, need to become members too or else you won’t be able to leave comments. In my opinion it is not right to make people do stuff they don’t want to do ;)
On the other hand they have this nice thing going called Qotd – Question of the day…..very handy for the days you don’t have any inspiration :)

And finally there is the third option….Blogger! I like Blogger beta better then the previous version. I like the way you can easily change your template and customize it, I like the new tag option, and……………..hmmz, I guess that’s about it. Somehow I still have the feeling there is a lot of stuff missing.

Okay, I am going to put my thinking cap on………………

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I run my blog and another blog off Wordpress...knitnut is self-hosted, the other one is part of wordpress.com. (Interestingly, the interface is very different between the two...I can edit CSS on mine and I have more flexibility, but the other one has better built-in stats and has sidebar widgets and other stuff. They each have advantages and disadvantages.)

If the platform you're using (blogger) is causing you frustration on a consistent basis, I'd suggest moving. Wordpress is fine, but it's not perfect either.

Sometimes it's just nice to trade one set of frustrations for another one. ;)

Dakota said...

Thanks for that, Zoom!. I think the perfect platform still has to be invented. At the moment I am just looking for the one which offers less frustration.
Maybe I should just give it a go, start a temporary blog to see if I would like Wordpress :)

Anonymous said...

I am waiting for blogger to let me use beta. Then we shall see.

But then again, blogger wont let me in to comment here, so hmmmmmm

Lord Hutton

Anonymous said...

GO! I can hardly ever comment here!

Andre

b o o said...

blogger has been cranky lately but i'm staying for now. have u decided?

Dakota said...

You are still waiting to switch to beta, Lord Hutton? I always thought everyone could switch when the moods strikes. Guess I am wrong!

Sorry, I can’t help it, Andre. According to the Blogger beta blog it’s a known issue.

Still here, Boo. Fooled around with Wordpress yesterday, but I am not convinced……yet!

Phil said...

Let us know your decision, as Blogger is really annoying me with the bugs, it's full of them. Wordpress I was tempted by too :]

Dakota said...

Some days it is really tempting to switch, DoGGa. I wanted to fool around with it some more over the weekend but something else came up. Anyway….. if/when I switch I’ll let you know :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this info. I'm new to blogging, so it's nice to hear about the options.

Merry Christmas

Dakota said...

My pleasure, Jonathan

Merry Christmas!