Friday, December 01, 2006

The day my Hard disk died!?

And that day seems to be today. He had not been feeling all that well lately, feeling a bit under the weather, you might say. You could actually say, he was coughing and sneezing a lot and sometimes he even shivered! Just recently I pampered him, gave him (and his other parts) a full check-up, changed some setting and everything seemed okay, but I think it was just a temporary remission. Today….*sigh*….. today, I guess he died!

Okay enough drama for now. Here is what happened. This afternoon I tried to boot my PC. Everything was working fine, XP was starting up nicely, but not as nicely as it normally would. After the first screen the whole process started up again. I discovered that the start-up screen said something different “S.M.A.R.T. capable but disabled” changed that in the BIOS into enabled but still no luck! Nothing has changed. Can someone enlighten me, is my master HD deceased?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and in case you are wondering how on earth I was able to post this……well, I still have a very, very old (almost prehistoric) pc hanging around as a backup :)

6 comments:

kat said...

I don't know for sure, Dakota, but last time a disk of mine complained about the S.M.A.R.T it ended up in the great big scrapyard in the sky.
I hope yours isn't that poorly and that it can be sorted.

b o o said...

good thing for that backup :) old or not.

Dakota said...

Well, my HD really is in a bad state Kat. But I am hoping to get it all fixed today by replacing the HD with another one. I am having some problems with my old PC too……I think I’ve the whole “when it rains, it pours” thing going at the moment :(

Backups rule, Boo

I hope she will sort everything out, Lord Hutton :)

Phil said...

ooh, not good. Erm maybe update the BIOS, but you have to do it from a floppy disk, if you remember what they are LOL.
Get a new HDD I guess, but it's all the files you'll loose :(

Andre Veloux said...

You can buy one of those 2.5" HDD bays to plug the old one into your PC once you have the new one set up, and try and see if you can access anything on it. Well thats in case you have anything important that isnt backed up.

Max said...

You can get huge amount of memory on those big portable external hard drives