Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Hi, my name is Dakota and I am a bikeaholic!

Lately the weather has been pretty nice around here, so I’ve been riding my bicycle a lot. Who would have thought I would really enjoy it one day…… I surely did not! I started using my bike again a few years ago and discovered it was a nice way to get from point A to point B and back to A again. But this year it is getting pretty ridiculous. I am not only using my bike for short trips, I am also riding my bike for hours on bike trails. And today I even invented a trip to a “far away” supermarket just because they had French Beans on offer! How silly is that!? While I was riding my bike, enjoying the sunshine and warm weather, I started to wonder about this whole daft thing. Could biking be as addictive as, for instance, running?

I know that those who run produce addictive substances called Beta-endorphins. These hormones are known to block pain, decrease appetite, decrease anxiety and induce feelings of euphoria. Not so strange when you consider the fact that endorphins are chemically related to the drug morphine. Morphine is extremely addicting. Morphine relieves pain and produces euphoric feelings. "Endorphin" actually means "endogenous morphine." Endorphins and morphine both bind to the same chemical receptors in the brain and produce similar responses. During a long run, some runners gradually lose the ability to feel pain and experience a thrill as their bodies are filled with exhilarating energy. This is called a "runner's high".

I am really starting to believe I get a “biker’s high” when I am on my bike. The freedom, the rotating of the pedals, the humming of the wheels, the wind blowing through my hair, the birds, nature, the sunshine on my bare skin, it just makes me feel so cheerful, elated and energetic…….it is almost scary ;) Oh well, I could be addicted to worse substances I guess :) So I’ll admit it……I am Dakota and I am a bikeaholic!!

11 comments:

wanderingthinker said...

Hi, my name is Wanderingthinker and I am a bikeaholic, too!

Since I've learned to bike in the age of four, it's my ultimate addiction, cure for all sorts of mental and physically disturbing situations, just joy or to feel the freedom of movement. I've got my driving license only 4 yeares ago, and I don't like to drive a car, it leaves the soul behind and could be a hazard to your health (the surgeon general warns).

In my younger days my daily mileage by bike has been around 30 km, but nowadays... I'm happy if I reach 4 km, but Tuesday evening I made a 24 km trip through dawn and night in the green hell of the Alster Valley near Hamburg...

So, I stop better here...

qaminante said...

I keep thinking about buying a bike but I'm too scared, I would have to walk it quite a way to a safe cycle path (or psychopaths as I thought they were called in Brussels) so, so far I've only bought the helmet! But yours is a healthy addiction as long as you have nice safe tracks to ride on. I might think about it again this summer.

Phil said...

The first step to acknowledging you have a problem is to admit it, so well done! LOL

I know what you mean and I have felt this many times, although in the past few years I find any form of exercise chuffin' hard work, FULL STOP!

b o o said...

i dunno how to ride a bike :(

Dakota said...

You’re a bikeaholic too, Wanderingthinker? Who would have thought :) Oh…. I did!! You are an athletic person after all. You could alternate biking and running you know ;)

You should buy a bike Qaminante. I can recommend it :) But only buy a bike if you think you can feel comfortable and relaxed on a bike.
I live in a very bike friendly country. We have a lot of bike trails but they not always lead to places I need to go, so I also need to interact with other road-users.

I am really good at admitting I have a problem DoGGa, doing something about the problem is a different story however ;)

Cycling to work, Stu how wonderful! No public transport, not being cooped up in car…..just fresh air and the joys of the outdoors. Lovely :)

You don’t, Boo? I’m quite surprised by that. But no problem, you can always learn it ;)

kat said...

All outdoor exercise reduces stress and makes you feel good.

It always makes me forgot those silly little problems and puts things into perspective. Keep your addiction, Dakota - It's good for you. :-)

Dakota said...

You are so right, Kat and I’ll keep my addiction. Well as long as the weather is this nice ;)

Rayya Ghul said...

boohoo I was looking forward to cycling in the evenings now they are lighter but I tore a ligament in my ankle while I was on holiday and I can't!! I love cycling, it's my favourite form of exercise. Too bad I work just too far away to cycle to work but when I lived in London I went everywhere by bike.

Dakota said...

Oh, I am sorry to read that Snowqueen, but the period of lighter evenings has just started so your time will come :)I hope your ankle gets better soon!!

Phil said...

I seem to have traded being a bikeaholic with being a chocoholic.
Here's some ancient history. When I was 28 my personal best was 136 miles on a fully loaded touring bike (70 lbs of gear). I could string together a few century days in a row.
That was 20 years ago :-(

Dakota said...

Wow….I am impressed, Phil. You can always (someday) get on a bike again.

And being a chocoholic is not that bad; I believe everyone is a chocoholic from time to time.