Tuesday, May 16, 2006

An alternative lifestyle?

Today I received an email. Oh, how surprising! No, it is not a surprise, I receive a lot of emails but this one wasn’t intended for me and I don’t get those a lot. One of the reunion people accidentally (or not) included my name in the “send to” list.

You can find out funny (or not) things about yourself when you get these kind of emails. For instance, I found out that there has been a whole discussion going on about me. How boring! I can come up with hundred other, much more interesting topics, but they seem to think otherwise. The second thing I found out is that I seem to have an alternative lifestyle :| I do?? I don’t think so, but again others seem to think otherwise.

So, what counts as an alternative lifestyle:
- Unusual relationships (for example polyamory) or community living (such as communes)
- Unusual sexual lifestyle (such as bondage, homosexuality or swinging)
- Unusual cultural focus (such as furry fandom)
- Avoidance of traditional path (people who might be said to become lifestyle travellers, like backpackers)
- Vegetarianism or veganism
- Alternative spirituality practices.

Hmm…. I don’t see it. I don’t qualify for any of these categories. So just because:
- I live my life the way I want to live it,
- I don’t have many regrets,
- I don’t settle for second best,
- I don’t like to be put in a box,
- I don’t stay in relationship because it is ooooh soooo easy and comfortable,
- I am happy I loved the guys I loved,
- I’ve been depressed,
- I am positive,
- I am passionate about life,

I seem to have an alternative lifestyle. In my opinion everybody should live the life they want to live, they shouldn’t have many regrets, they should be positive, take chances, and above all…… everybody should live passionately. You only get one shot at this. So, grab it and live it!

10 comments:

b o o said...

live a life u love, love the life u live {{Dakota}}

Phil said...

GO DAKOTA GO!!!

Again, oh so true. I'm with you on all of that, and Stu's herd analogy too.
I need to practice some of them more though!

I've 'been there-done that' with most of what you say too and I hate societies farcical rules and expectations.
I'd also be a liar if I said I hadn't dabbled in life's more 'alternative' sides too. ;->


Dogga: Agrees with Boo too!

kat said...

If you have an alternative lifestyle it must certainly be more exciting than the lives of those talking about you.

Be different, stay different and keep on being passionate!

Dakota said...

Wise words from a very wise lady. Thank you, {{Boo}}

Thanks for your nice and wise words, Stu
Maybe everyone should explore away from the herd from time to time. Life becomes so much more interesting :) And I am not a furry at heart ;)

GO? GO?? Where to, DoGGa? ;)
At first I wanted to ask you which alternative lifestyles you tried, but on second thought…..I don’t think I want to know, WTMI :P
And now…. Go DoGGa Go….. practice! Or as Boo said it “live a life u love, love the life u live” :)

My thoughts exactly, Kat. Thank you!!

Kayla said...

I agree with Boo :)
Life is too short and I don't have the energy to worry about how others view my life

Dakota said...

Oh, I don’t worry about it, Kayla. I was just surprised!

wanderingthinker said...

I would consider this silly episode as a compliment.

If the people of my class should ever stop talking about me, I would really start worrying. Then I would have ended being like them, and I would have become how I never wanted to be.

Your "alternative lifestyle" makes you interesting, because it's what they ever wanted to do, but never had the courage to do, or it's something they fear, because it makes them think about their own miserable situation.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." Aleister Crowley

Dakota said...

I agree with you, Wanderingthinker! It’s like someone once said: “It doesn't matter what they say about you, as long as they keep on talking about you and spell your name right"

wanderingthinker said...

Left open is only the question, what qualifies you for the label "alternative lifestyle"?

The points you've mentioned couldn't really be criticized, are they?

Really curious, me ;-)

Dakota said...

I really don’t know Wanderingthinker. Their opinion is based on the points I mentioned and their own assumptions I guess. I haven’t met them yet, the reunion is in July :)