Thursday, May 11, 2006

80's Week

My favourite radio station is having an 80’s request week and that means they play only 80’s music, talk about 80’s news, gadgets and movies. It got me thinking about that strange, weird and wonderful decade. Ehmm, on second thought, I am not quite sure about the wonderful, though ;) Weird and strange it was! Was there, for instance, any other decade were a person could be a young, rich, sad muppet with no friends, and call themselves a Yuppie? Only then!

Other unforgettable stuff of the decade, in random order:
- MC Hammer parachute pants,
- Enormous shoulder pads made fashionable by Dynasty and
Dallas,
- Legwarmers and headbands made popular by Flashdance and Fame,
- All those
Miami Vice wannabees, a.k.a guys in horrible shiny suits or jackets,
- Punk and its counterpart New Romantic,
- The Ray Ban Wayfarer and later, the ‘Aviator’ worn by Tom Cruise in Top Gun,
- Converse, Adidas,
- Michael Jackson still had some colour; Madonna was getting pretty popular,
- Big hair or cemented hair,
- Shoulder length earrings,
- A fish called Wanda, Back to future, Beverly Hills Cop, War Games, Friday the 13th, Indiana Jones, Top Gun, E.T, Nightmare on
Elm Street, Rambo, Ferris Bueller’s Day off, The Goonies,
- The Commodore 64,
- Pac-Man, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, Super Mario,
- AIDS,
- LiveAid,
- MacGyver & The A-Team, Cheers, The Cosby show, Family Ties, The Golden Girls, Transformers,
- Sega, Nintendo, Atari,
- Rubik´s Cube, BMX Bikes,
- Walkman’s, CD’s and VCR’s,
- Nuclear disaster Chernobyl, the fall of the Berlin Wall, plane crash Lockerbie, protest on Tiananmen Square, the Space Shuttle disaster, the end of the Cold War and the Rainbow Warrior sunk, The assassination of John Lennon and Olof Palme.

Some popular bands at the time: Mr. Mister, INXs, Chris Isaak, Red Hot Chili Peppers, De La Soul, Kate Bush, OMD, Tears for fears, Midnight Oil, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Waterboys, Depeche Mode, New Order, Bronski Beat, Water Boys, Salt N Pepa, Cyndi Lauper, Bryan Adams, Dexy´s Midnight Runners, Adam Ant, U2, Cult, Queen, Men at Work, Alphaville, Talk Talk, Don Henley, Soft Cell, Bon Jovi, Bangles, Madness, Clash, Simple Minds, Genesis, Smiths, Bob Marley, Killing Joke, Prince, A-HA, Cure and many, many more.

And what was I doing in the 80’s? Who me? I wasn’t even born yet!! Just kidding...... I finished school, got my first real fulltime job, started dating, partied till dawn, learned how to smoke, moved out, found the man of my dreams (NOT!, but I was convinced of it at the time :)) and much, much more which I don’t remember or don’t want to remember. Oh, a selective memory can come in handy at times ;)

4 comments:

Dakota said...

Oh yeah, Stu. How could I forget The Goonies with the gadgets, the cave, the traps and of course their treasure hunt :) I'll add them to the list.

Phil said...

Excellent Dakota!

I'm with you on the Goonies Stu! Many a line still used in my life from that film. Chuuuuunk!

I've recently bought some retro 80's games off e-bay, reliving my childhood. An Atari Lynx (Mk i & II), Grandstand's BMX Flyer and Grandstand's Astro Wars!

Kayla said...

Ooohhh..
Tears for Fears
Adam Ant
Madness
Genesis
I loved so much of the 80s music and still do!
Nice memories..Thanks :)

Dakota said...

You really are reliving you childhood, DoGGa Have fun with all your games :)

Isn’t it great, Kayla? Today the radio station has an 80’s TOP 100 and I can’t stop singing along with all the songs. I’m so glad you can’t hear me :)