Saturday, August 11, 2007

Look what I found (#5)

No, I didn't find a giant LEGO dudette, but I did find some other stuff :-)

Art
Some of you might have seen this already because it is very popular, but for those who haven’t, here is 500 Years of Female Portraits in Western Art

The Music is Bach's Sarabande from Suite for Solo Cello No. 1 in G Major, BWV 1007 performed by Yoyo Ma and for a complete list of artists and paintings visit this site

BTW, if you have some time to spare, check out some of the other video's made by eggman913....I really do love them.

Fact(s).
Interested in unusual but interesting facts? Well then, this is the site for you! Godzap has collected over 300 weird and wonderful facts. A few examples:
  • Every continent begins and ends in the same letter.
  • TYPEWRITER is one of the longest words that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.
  • An average American will eat 35,000 cookies during his or her lifetime.
  • Only 1 out of 1000 people can lick their elbow.
  • No word in the English language rhymes with the words ‘month’, ‘orange’, ‘silver’, or ‘purple’.
  • Most lipsticks contain fish scales.
  • Recycling one glass jar saves enough energy to watch TV for 3 hours.
  • In England, in the 1880's, the word ‘Pants’ was considered a dirty word.
  • Ernest Vincent Wright wrote a novel, ‘Gadsby’, which contains over 50,000 words - none of them with the letter E.
Simpson-mania.

Last month I posted a link to Simpson movie site where you can create your own Simpson Avatar. Today I found a new site where you can Simpsonize yourself. Just upload a picture and let the machine do all the work (of course you can alter the image later if you would wish to do so)

Project
I really like people who start a project and finish it. One of those guys is Bill Wadman, a New York-based photographer who after completing the daily 365 Project, and then a weekly 52 Project, has taken it upon himself to shoot and post one portrait every day of 2007 – 365 Portraits . The photos are taken on the day they are posted, and each day will be a different person. Go check it out!

Look up and stargaze this weekend
One of the summer's most anticipated sky shows is the annual Perseid meteor shower. Due to the season's generally pleasant warm nights and the display's rich offerings, stargazers throughout the Northern Hemisphere set aside at least a few hours to enjoy the shooting stars from the constellation Perseus.
And conditions are ideal this year because the Perseid meteor shower peaks on the new-Moon night of Sunday–Monday, August 12–13 so there will be no moonlight to interfere. On any given night (the shower is also active for several days before and after its peak), activity starts slowly in the evening but picks up by 11 p.m. The meteor rate increases steadily through the night as the radiant rises higher, peaking just before the sky starts to get light, roughly 1½ to 2 hours before sunrise The best direction to watch is wherever your sky is darkest. If you have a dark sky, you might see a meteor once a minute on average

Have a marvellous and fun-filled weekend!

12 comments:

qaminante said...

That's a great video - the sun is out here so I hope you are having a great weekend too.

Dakota said...

I love the video too, Qaminante :-)
Well, the weather was very nice yesterday but today it’s all cloudy again. I think it’s going to rain later this evening :-(

KJ's muse said...

Darn. I'm NOT one of the lucky 1 out of 1000 people. ;)

But I found it quite interesting that they began their list with some Canadian trivia: There are more Barbie dolls in Italy than there are Canadians in Canada. Hmmm. That's an awful lot of Barbie dolls!

And no, don't think I'll try Simpsonizing myself this time as there's no way I'll look as good as you! :)

b o o said...

fish scales *eeeks* good thing i don't wear lipstick. you're being "simpsonized" is very sexy :o)

b o o said...

oh and i can lick my elbows no problem. i should put it on youtube :o)

Anonymous said...

Love the interesting facts! I'm still trying to figure out the "Gadsby" novel...50,000 words and none with the letter e? I wonder if he substituted a "y" or something. How else could he have done that?

Dakota said...

I belong to the 999 non-elbow lickers too, KJ’s Muse. I wonder what the trick is, do you need to have a very long tongue or just very short arms ;-)

Yeah, it was interesting to find that they did start the list with an Canadian fact, but who knows, maybe the list originated in Canada.

Such a shame you are not going to “simpsonize” yourself, because it would have been interesting to see the result :-) Oh and thanks for the nice compliment, it really made my day :-D

Ah, thank you, Boo and I am not sexy…. Must be the barrel I am wearing…. ;-)
Can you really lick your elbow? Put I on Youtube now…..I want to see some evidence :-)

You can read all about it here, Krissa, and you can read the story too (if you want to check it)

KJ's muse said...

do you need to have a very long tongue or just very short arms ;-) Both!

Hmmm, maybe I'll see if I have any appropriate pics around. MAYBE. Not promising anything. ;)

Dakota said...

Bummer, I have neither, KJ’s Muse.

Hooray, a semi-promise is good enough for me. Just kidding! You don’t have to do it if you really don’t want to. :-)

Phil said...

I've seen that video before - It must have taken ages to do!

I LOVE facts, especially ones to do with space and speed etc :]

Do you often wear a barrel Ms Simpson hehehe?

I missed the meteor shower, but have watched the Leonids many times in the past!!!

Dakota said...

Well, the video has been viewed over 5,000,000 times, DoGGa, so it doesn’t come as a big surprise that you had already seen it. I don’t know how he did it, or how long it took him…..there must be a trick to it or maybe just some special morphing software.

I don’t wear barrels that often, Dogga Simpson, only on special occasions ;-)

Unfortunately I missed the shower too, the meteor one that is. I was up late, both Saturday and Sunday, but on the first night the sky was hazy and the second it was cloudy and the situation hasn’t improved much…….Grrrr!

kat said...

I managed to see a few meteors but the cloud got in the way for the most part.