Thursday, August 23, 2007

Heavy breathing in aisle one (three, five, etc)

I am just back from grocery shopping and it was shopping with a difference today because I heard heavy breathing in the aisles. Now is that different, or what? And no, it wasn’t my imagination, wishful thinking or whatever you might come up with, it was actually happening. Here is the story.

Contentedly I entered the supermarket, checking my list while I was heading for the fruit & veg section. I got the leeks, lettuce, onions and tomatoes of my list and whilst I was checking the Granny Smith apples (I don’t want to buy the ones which are sticky to the touch, now do I?) I heard a very obscene sound. Huh, what was that? I touched the apples again, and surprise suprise there it was again. HUH? Was there someone around pulling a prank? A hidden camera show maybe? I checked, but couldn’t spot anyone or anything (as if you would with a hidden camera). Weird!

I decided to leave the apples and headed over to the bananas. I picked up a bunch and lo and behold there was the heavy breathing again. Grrrrr, how frustrating, if I could only pinpoint the origin of the sound it would make me feel a hell of a lot better, I thought. So, I looked around again and I was pretty amazed by what I saw. There was this guy, in his early thirties, holding a Cantaloupe and it almost looked as if he was turned on by the darn thing. He was stroking, kneading and smelling it at the same time as he was making sounds that would be more appropriate in a bedroom. Mesmerised I watch they guy patting his melon a bit more before he dropped it into his trolley. Okay, show’s over, let’s move on, I thought to myself, but boy was I wrong.

I bumped into him (not literally of course) a couple of times while I was getting the rest of my stuff and watched him re-enact his whole song and dance routine (or would bump and grind routine be a better choice of words ;-)) al over again. One time he even stood right next to me, while he was expressing his obnoxious sounds right into my ear. Could shivers, no not the kind you might associate with pleasure, ran down my spine…..brrr, what a creep!

I had quite enough of it (and I had all my shopping done) so I hurried off to queue up, but just as I rounded the corner I saw that boisterous guy coming over too. OMG, I so not wanted to end up in front of him. So, I lingered around the detergent section for a bit and queued up as soon as I thought it was safe to do so. I was so happy I had done that, all the people in front of me had really flushed and flustered faces. Guess he had been able to give another performance (or two). Anyway, I didn’t see him again until I exited the store and man was I in for a big surprise. There he was………………..

touching himself. NOOOOOOO! Of course not! Don’t be ridiculous (it would have made for an ending with a difference though, wouldn’t it?). But let me assure you, the ending is bit different then you might expect anyway, because it took me quite by surprise too.
So, there he was, just finished putting his shopping away in his backpack and getting ready to mount his Scootmobiel (I don’t know what you call them in English or if you actually have them) Mobility Scooter (thank for your assistance Lord Hutton), groaning, moaning and breathing heavily all the way. OMG, I felt really embarrassed. All the time I had been judging that guy, thinking he was a real perv while he was just a handicapped man who is probably proud he can still get his own groceries in. *blush* Oh well, that will teach! Never, ever judge a book by its cover!

7 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

"Mobility Scooter" usually. I chair a charity that runs 3 shops that rent them out for a small fee, called Shopmobility.
Disability comes in strange forms sometimes;-)

kat said...

It is easy to make the wrong assumpitons isn't it?

Dakota said...

Thanks for your help, Lord Hutton. They are really popular over here and I don’t know if people can actually rent them. I believe they have to submit an application and when they are immobile enough (a.k.a. old enough, handicapped or have a chronic illness) they can get one. Not for free, they have to pay a bit, the amount depends on their income.

And you are right, disability can come in really strange forms sometimes. I got proof of that today.

Yeah, very easy, Kat.
At first I was tempted to remove this post all together because I felt really ashamed, but then I decided against, because it show how easy it is to be judgmental.

KJ's muse said...

Glad you didn't remove it as it's good for us to be reminded! And some people suffer from disabilities that aren't immediately visible, so we can never really know.

Dakota said...

I still have mixed feelings about this post, but I think you are right, KJ’s Muse, it works well as a reminder.

Anonymous said...

In the US they are called "Hoverounds" (hover around...yeah, makes no sense). Anyway, I felt SO BAD at the end of your post. I was all for getting on here and telling you that boy you should have let him have it...now I just feel awful and I wasn't even there. All I can say is, as a woman I really HAVE experienced situations like that which were actually the "real" thing. As I'm sure you have. So I guess what you did was correct since it would have been horrible for you to confront him considering what was really going on. But if there weren't real honest to God creeps out there, probably you and I and anyone else wouldn't assume that this poor guy WAS one. ... I think this was a good post. :)

Dakota said...

Thanks, Krissa. And don’t feel bad, I certainly can understand your reaction. I guess it’s safe to say we all (us women, at least) have had our fair share of encounters with perv’s (in and outside) the supermarket. And I can assure you, I would have let him have it if he had been a perv, but there just was something too odd about him, I guess.