Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Don’t try this at home …….

Especially not when there are for seasons in one day (or any other day for that matter).

Last weekend I was pottering in the garden wearing flip-flops. Now, everybody knows you shouldn’t do garden work wearing those, because accidents can happen while your feet are exposed like that, particularly when you are working with a hoe or a spade. You could accidentally chop off your toe for instance, or hoe right into your foot. Luckily for me, none of the above happened. Hooray!

I did, however, discover something else you shouldn’t try whilst wearing flip-flops. You shouldn’t, and I repeat, SHOULD NOT, try to get a slipping flip-flop back on your foot while entering your house, because this is what you probably end up with a broken toe...........................................nail! I was trying to get my flip-flop back on at the same time as stepping over the threshold, but for some reason I miscalculated and my foot didn’t end up on the other side of the threshold, but bumped against it (with great force). Ouch!

Okay, it was a bit more than just ouch; to be honest I almost passed out! My body can handle pain pretty good, but this was pain of a different variety, this was an excruciating and nauseating pain. When I was able to stand upright again, I hobbled to the nearest couch, fell down (I wouldn’t call the thing I did, sitting down) and was able to put my head between my knees. Right, that was one problem solved, namely how not to faint on hard surfaces, next task: eagerly waiting for the endorphins to kick in. Boy, they take their time, don’t they? Where are they, when you desperately need them? In a land, far, far away, I guess. But they did made it in the end, it’s was a miracle! Oh, not that they finally arrived at their destination, but the endorphins itself. They should bottle them, because it really makes you feel pretty good instantly. Today, the pain is almost gone…..hooray again! One problem though, I can’t wear my running shoes :-( So, no running for me this week. I am a little bummed out about that actually, since it messes up my running schedule, but on the other hand it gives me time to do other things like……rearranging my wardrobe. Oh, how exiting…..NOT!

Well, it was more a case of throwing things out which are still suitable for donation and checking what is still trendy enough for next autumn. While I was rummaging through my wardrobe I came across my summer clothes and I thought to myself ‘well, isn’t that depressing, a lot of summery clothes and you’ve only worn maybe ten of them this year.’ Earlier this year I even bought a summer dress (must have had a momentary lapse of reason at the time) for the first time in …..well, eons I guess…. And I haven’t been able to wear it even once. Now, how sad is that! Oh well, next weekend we are going to have some nice weather again (they say). Let’s hope for the best, because today it’s like we are having four seasons in one day (reminds me of this beautiful song), autumn-like gales, winter-like rain, spring temperatures and a few seconds of summer-like sunshine. And still they say: “The weather isn’t changing!” Yeah, right! *sigh*

But enough of that, I am not going to bore you any further with my depressing thoughts. No, I am going to surprise you with this, a very interesting pain fact ;-). According to Wikipedia: “Pain is part of the body's defence system: it triggers mental problem-solving strategies that seek to end the painful experience, and it promotes learning, making repetition of the painful situation less likely.” Interesting isn’t it? I think it is, but it also leaves me with one question, though: If you should learn from it, why on earth do you keep bumping the thing you hurt in the first place?

7 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

Ouch! Injections in your chin, or between your fingers are like that.
I live with a Crowded Housie: she once followed them around the country

Andre Veloux said...

Ouch. Shouldn't that be in HNT?

Dakota said...

Oh my god, Lord Hutton, those things are just as horrible.

And you might want to keep an eye on the Crowded Housie, because they are back together and touring again:-)

You are right, Andre. I should have saved the post for today.

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I know that pain...it's awful, just awful. Glad it doesn't hurt so much now.

Dakota said...

I never knew that something like that could hurt so much, Aoj

KJ's muse said...

Ouch indeed. How's the nail?

Dakota said...

The nail still looks odd, but not as much as it did earlier, KJ’s Muse, there is a bit of black and blue-ness underneath. Guess I’ll have to part with the nail in a couple of weeks :-(