Sunday, January 14, 2007

Mind, Body & Soul Session (#26)

Make 2007 the year of joy!

I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions, but maybe you do. If you really want to stick to one resolution, let it be this one: Make 2007 the year of joy! Easier said than done, I know, but it is possible. Change some things around to make this year more joyful. Not a clue what to change, here are some suggestions.

Figure out your purpose and live accordingly.
Not knowing your purpose will bring you fear, sadness, frustration, and uncertainty. Finding your purpose will bring you great joy and living accordingly will bring you even greater joy. So, prioritise! Let your schedule reflect your purpose and don’t let unforeseen circumstances get in your way.

Choose and take control.
Ever feel like you have the leading part in the movie “Groundhog Day”? If the answer is yes, then it’s time to take control. You can sit around and wait for things to happen, but you can also take some action. Why wait to get invited to do something, when you can just as easily invite someone else. Knowing you have choices, that you can take control by speaking up and take action, will make your life easier and more joyful because it will get rid of that “stuck in a rut” feeling.

Don’t settle for status quo.
Always look to stretch yourself, expand your horizons! Learn a new language, listen to different music, take up web design, skydive, try a new sport or how about a photography course. Anything you might fancy will do. Thinking outside the box, colouring outside the lines, setting new goals, will bring you joy.

Learn to say No, dare to say Yes.
Even though it may feel uncomfortable to say no, or even to think about saying no, it's important to remember that each time you say yes to someone else or something you really don’t want to do, you say no to you and your priorities. Learn to say No, but don’t forget to say Yes to all the things you really do want to do or give a try! Say yes to invites, new adventures and challenges. It might be scary at first, but why not take a chance and add some new experiences to your life.

Be spontaneous
Surprise yourself, and others. Keywords here are spontaneity and surprise! Do the unexpected now and again. It will cause everybody to sit up, pay attention and say, ‘Wow where did that come from?’ It will put more joy in your life, and theirs.

Smile a lot, laugh often.
Most people are just too serious. We need to laugh…. a lot! Life is to be enjoyed. Next time you rent a DVD, get a comedy or a "feel good" movie and laugh. Or just take a look at this, maybe it will not make you laugh, but a giggle is a nice way to start :)


What ever you do, never forget that joy and happiness can be yours! Look for it, pursue it, grab it with both hands and never let go, enjoy it! Oh and always remember, life is not about how many breaths you take, but about the number of moments that take your breath away.

Enjoy your day!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are right. Finding a purpose is good, even it is only geocaching.
Groundhog day happens far too often. Time to stop.
Skydiving? Sod off.
I like to say yes as often as I can.
When I am spontaneous, I get a slap. Like the time I booked M the day off on her birthday and took her to Cornwall on the train when she thought she was going to work. Never again;-)

kat said...

life is not about how many breaths you take, but about the number of moments that take your breath away.


I like that. :-)

Phil said...

Oh so true Dakota. Last year I did more things that pushed me than ever before and I plan to do many new things and visit new places and embark upon more quests than ever before. Maybe time for a new direction altogether... Who knows? :]

Dakota said...

Isn’t it strange how women don’t like to be surprised, and some men always try surprise them, Lord Hutton. Some of my friends really hate surprises because they always worry about their clothes, hair, make-up and so on. So my advice, keep surprising M, but make sure you bring along stuff she might need during the surprise :)
Hmmz… your purpose is geocaching! Interesting purpose. I wonder what mine is…..probably annoying people with advice ;)

I like it a lot too, Kat. This quote has been in my diary for a very long time. Don’t know where it’s from, or who said it, but I love it!

In my opinion you are doing brilliantly, DoGGa. I’ve seen you do some amazing things and I can’t wait to read about all your new dazzling adventures. You are definitely on the right track. Keep it up :)

Andre Veloux said...

Learn to say no, dare to say yes. I like that Dakota.

KJ's muse said...

What a great video!

It's funny, but I decided earlier this month that 2007 was going to be the year of change, but I guess that change and joy are not necessarily that different, are they?

Glad I discovered your blog. I like it a lot.

Dakota said...

IMO saying Yes to new experiences is just as important as learning to say No to things you really don’t wan to do, Andre. These days you can find a gazillion articles about saying No but nobody is talking about the Yes part :)

Ah thank you, KJ’s Muse. I like your blog a lot too :)

Everything that is different, is a change isn’t it? You decide which things you want to change, improve or whatever. If it’s more joy you are after, just go for it and have a joyful year :)

Anonymous said...

I am _so_ going to sit there at work tomorrow mutttering BLING!........... blonnnnnggg...... to myself.

Great video :)

Dakota said...

Great idea, but don’t forget to giggle, Stu :)