Friday, October 06, 2006

Why people should not lie.

Every year the postman delivers a little card to my door saying:

“Hi there, lady of the house! Autumn and winter are just around the corner, so we think it’s time for the annual central-heating system inspection. We’ll be around your place on October, 5th so please make sure that there is someone there to let us in.

Your best friend on cold winter days,
The central-heating guy”

Of course they didn’t write this, but it was something similar I guess.

Since I knew the guy was coming today, I cleaned the area around the boiler (is that what it’s called in English? I mean the thing that heats the water and heats the house) yesterday. I cleared away some stuff (so he would have easy access) and mopped the floor (so he wouldn’t get dirty while doing his job).Oh, I am just too kind ;) Anyway, it’s not a huge task, just something that needs to be done (occasionally). So after I finished the job, I got on with the rest of my daily stuff and it actually was a very pleasant day.

In the early hours of the evening the telephone ringed and I answered. It was Mrs. central-heating guy. She called to inform me that Mr. central-heating guy was not able to get here on the 5th. He had been in a car accident and he had just called her (while he was still inside the wreckage) to tell her the whole story. Now she called me to reschedule and a new date was picked. At first I was all sympathetic and said things like but then I remembered something. So I said ‘that central-heating guy of yours must be a real lousy driver?’ Her response was ‘huh? No, he has never had an accident in his life. Why do you say stuff like that?’ My response was ‘well, last year you cancelled the appointment too and if I remember it correctly you told me the exact same story at the time’. The line went deadly quiet after that..................

I am curious to see if Mr. central-heating guy still is going to show his face on the new date :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took me many years but I finally realized I don't have to lie. I don't even have to tell the truth or justify anything. I can just say "I'm sorry, I won't be able to keep our appointment after all. Could we please reschedule?" It works 100% of the time!

Dakota said...

We use the word “boiler” too Stu, but over here a boiler means water heater (which will warm the water but not the house).

They could just as easily have called to say they weren’t able to come on the specified day, but that was probably too straightforward or something.

Good for you Zoom!. Everybody is allowed to say “No!” whatever the reason.

Andre Veloux said...

My Dakota what a deep voice you have.

A friend at school arrived late one day and gave this long story about a cat being runover and finding its owner etc etc. I was amazed, but when I asked him about it later he said he made it all up to get out of trouble. I was even more shocked. Some people just lie.

Dakota said...

No, Lord Hutton I am not paying him right now! It’s all part of their service (not sure which service they mean though)

LOL! Andre, I’ve smoked (ex-smoker now) for quite a while, that has changed my voice into a more manly one I guess ;)

That’s a horrible lie, but I’ve heard that one before too. A colleague of mine used it. In her version she substituted the cat for a dog. The dog was hurt and she had to find the owners too. Weeks later I asked her how the dog was doing. She couldn’t remember the accident.

Phil said...

You put Mr. Central-Heating guy in the Hot Seat