Monday, October 23, 2006

No Wonder!

Dove has launched a new commercial, labelled “a Dove film”, called “Evolution”. This commercial, that shows the alterations that can be made to a woman, is part of the “Campaign for real beauty”.

In the beginning of this video a woman walks into a photo shoot. When she sits down she is transformed into a glamour magazine cover girl by hair- and make-up artists and a lighting team. They take the pictures they need, which are then digitally retouched and tweaked with a Photoshop like program. The photo manipulation is then posted on a billboard for a fictional foundation. Two teenage girls walk past, looking at the billboard. The film ends with the words, "No wonder our perception of beauty is distorted. … Every girl deserves to feel beautiful just the way she is." The commercial:


I think it’s great that Dove started the “Campaign for real beauty” in which they use real women. In my opinion this video really has a role in helping young people have a healthier body image and I also believe it will help a lot of women with self esteem issues too. And women need all the help they can get because here is a sad fact: Only two percent of women surveyed worldwide consider themselves beautiful. Now how sad is that! Come on girls, teenagers and women, let’s change this around.


….and you know it!


For more information:
Campaign for real beauty – UK
Campaign for real beauty – Canada
Campaign for real beauty – USA
Initiative Fuer Wahre Schoenheit (German)
Tijd voor echte Schoonheid (Dutch)

Stickers

8 comments:

kat said...

What a coincidence! - I've just been watching that movie.

Phil said...

being the idiot that I can be, I have to say a few beers does the same thing

Dakota said...

Now, that is a strange coincidence, Kat :)

My pleasure, Stu.
I was quite stunned by this video.

Here is another example of creative retouching

LOL! Phil :)

Andre Veloux said...

Excellent. And you have to ask yourself who would you rather spend the evening with, the woman at the start or the recreated woman at the end.

Real woman are far more beautiful, and they have real personalities to go with their beauty.

I need to keep that on file to show the Poppit when she is older.

Phil said...

Excellent post Dakota!
It's not right making this so called beauty an impossible thing to achieve and the more they promote 'real' beauty, the better.
It puts people, including me, under so much pressure to look good, when you're probably fine just as you are! (Well mostly - You haven't visited Kidderminster yet! :)

Dakota said...

IMHO there is nothing wrong with the lady to begin with, Andre and I think I would rather spend an evening with her. I don’t like women who plaster their faces with tons of make-up all that much. I always get the funny feeling that they are hiding behind a mask, afraid to show who they really are.

Store it for the Poppit and show it to her when she is ready :)

You are right, DoGGa, it puts a lot of pressure on people but we (the people) can decide to go along with it (and play their game) or just ignore it. In my opinion the world would be a much friendlier place if people could say “I love you just the way you are”.
And stop stressing……You are beautiful :)

I agree, M is beautiful, Lord Hutton :) Keep telling her!

Andre Veloux said...

Thats what I was say Dakota, she was far better to begin with.

Dakota said...

Yes, I know Andre. Maybe I should have phrased my comment differently :)