Saturday, October 21, 2006

Rendezvous with the Devil.

One of my goals on 43T was “go to a movie by myself” and it was quite hard to accomplish that. Not because I am afraid to go on my own, I do that a lot actually, but because I’d run into friends while I tried to go on my own the last couple of times. But now, I finally did it. I went to see The Devil Wears Prada yesterday and I had a great time.

I’d read the book some time ago and now watched the movie and I liked it! This came as a surprise to me because I usually like the book better. I don’t want to turn this into a movie review (or spoil everything if you haven’t seen it yet) but I’d like to say that it is a really entertaining movie with lines like: “By all means move at a glacial pace. You know how that thrills me” – Miranda Priestly/Meryl Streep.

Meryl Streep is brilliant btw, but isn’t she always? She is absolutely amazing as Miranda Priestly. Like all Streep’s characters, it is constructed from the inside out. It's what she holds back, does not show (but subtly hints at), that gives her character humanity and gains your sympathy. She is one of those rare people who is able to convey more with an eyebrow, or by pursing her lips, than with an entire page of dialog. I love her!

I don’t love Miranda Priestly though, but that is personal. She reminds me of one of my former employers too much. The “dragon lady” I worked for always wore designer labels, big sunglasses, Chanel No5, went to 4 hour lunches and soirees in the evenings, and possessed almost the same character traits. There was only one difference: Miranda Priestly actually has a powerful job (demanding fashion editor), my “boss” lived in a dream world and thought she was a very important businesswoman. It was kind of sad to watch actually. There she was strutting her stuff, never there when clients called and never up-to-date on client files. So, she went to business meetings completely clueless. Sad! So glad I resigned.

Okay, I completed my goal and had fun doing it! If you ever want to give it a try, go ahead, it’s not scary and oh there is another advantage too…..you have the popcorn all to yourself!

4 comments:

kat said...

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been to a movie by myself. I'll put it on the To Do list.

Dakota said...

Just give it a try, Kat. There are a lot of advantages besides the popcorn. You get to pick the movie, you can go whenever the mood hits you and you can totally focus on the movie. Anyway....have fun!! (when the time comes :))

Phil said...

Ooh, I've never been to see a movie by myself. I'll have to try it!

Dakota said...

Never ever, DoGGa? Amazing!