Sunday, October 01, 2006

Mind, Body & Soul sessions (#16)

Try something new, step out of your box and colour outside the lines.

Last week I talked about letting go. By letting go of any remaining pain you might be carrying around, you can clear some mental and emotional space to welcome new people, new adventures and new situations into your life. Well, I don’t know if anybody has done this, but if you have, there might be a void now, an opening for something new, exciting and fulfilling. But were do you find something new and fulfilling? Hmmz… I don’t know ;) Kidding, I do know! Most of the time you will find something new, when you try something new! And NEW is the keyword here. So, why not start with leaving your comfort zone as a first step.

Your comfort zone is the place where you feel comfortable, the place where you feel safe, the place where you are in control, the place where you’re not at risk of embarrassment. It is also the place that is filled with your day to day activities. But like I said, it’s time to add something new into the mix, so get of your comfortable couch (a.k.a leave your comfort zone) and try something new and exciting. Oh, and I am not talking about bungee jumping (but you can do that too, if you really want) here, I am talking about the smaller things in life like:
  • - going to a new restaurant,
  • - dressing differently,
  • - taking a (cooking) class,
  • - trying a new sport,
  • - saying hi to a stranger,
  • - changing your daily routine,
  • - learning to pole dance,
  • - taking a different route to (or from) work,
  • - getting a new hairstyle or new colour,
  • - trying new food items,
  • - listening to new music,
  • - learning to play an instrument / a new language / a new dance,
  • - reading different books,
  • - going to new supermarket,
  • - joining a book club,
  • - learning to knit,
  • - taking a trip to a nearby city or how about exploring a new neighbourhood that you haven’t set foot in before.
See, all easy things to start with :)

So, why not take 5 (or 10) minutes to list some new things you would like to try. Be creative! Make it a list about naming the things that sound interesting, fun, heart-warming and enjoyable (and not a list about the things you feel you should do). When you are done, look at your list and try to figure out which thing is calling to you the loudest. Just dedicate yourself to doing that one thing next week to make it a reality. It’s okay if it’s not the most ambitious item on your list. Don’t feel guilty if it’s the smallest item on your list….size (or importance) does not matter!! It only matters that you did it.

9 comments:

Andre Veloux said...

learning to pole dance?

not sure about that one. is it cool for skinny blokes to pole dance? I think not.

Dakota said...

LOL! I somehow expected “Learn to pole dance” would result in a reaction like yours, Andre. And I wasn’t even thinking about being skinny. I just thought it would not be a very comfortable thing to do for a guy, but then I came across this.
Apparently men like it!

Phil said...

Pole dance, you mean like the Polka?

1- I'd like to take guitar lessons
(yes, I need them)
2- Be more optimistic
(I'm not as fucking cheerful as I appear to be)
3- Create more quality time with Dana
4- Get back into doing stained glass
5- exercise (no pole dancing)

Phil said...

This sooooo what I've been toying with recently and I'm finding it very hard to justify leavng my comfort zone, as I can only do it for a short period, as then the pretence, regret and stress builds too much for me to handle. You're completetly right, but I constantly toy with the idea of leaving my comfort zone and it's stress compared to the gain from doing so.
I'm also rubbish at thinking of new things to do, as I'm intrinsically lazy and nervous.

What a happy comment that was... NOT!

Rayya Ghul said...

Do you make this stuff up Dakota? If you do you should consider a career as a life coach! I really look forward to my MB&S sessions.

kat said...

OK, I'm off work tomorrow so I will try to do something new - but first I am going to stay in bed until lunch time. Can't say that I fancy pole dancing. :-)

Dakota said...

Well, Phil, if you add a pole to the Polka you could call it pole dancing ;)

Interesting list you have there, so why not take the next step. Pick something of your list and do it (if you’re up to it, that is :)). Like I said in the post, it does not have to be the biggest thing on there, start small. Trying something new could be as small as eating an apple variety you haven’t eaten before :)

Not so happy comments are welcome too, DoGGa. Trying new things is not meant to be stressful, you should try to enjoy it, and it is supposed to be a fun thing. Maybe you should try short-term things first, before moving on to long term changes.

I know it can be difficult to come up with new challenging things but there are a ton of lists on the internet. How about this one for example. It contains a lot of interesting new things to try :). Anyway don’t feel stressed and don’t feel pressured…….make it fun! And if you can’t do it today, there is always tomorrow. New box, new adventures, new possibilities :)

Pole dancing is wrong?! Hmmm….Lord Hutton, I was not suggesting pole dancing in a nasty, rancid club, I was talking about the workout trend.
I think you created a nice combo of small and big new things there. Keep up the good work and Happy Anniversary!!

I’ve probably read about a 50 (could be less, but I think it would be a lot more if I really counted them all) books about this stuff, and I read a lot of magazine articles and tons and tons of stuff on the internet. So, I really think that these aren’t mine but a mix-up of all the stuff I’ve read over the years. I am not sure if that would make me a good life coach, Snowqueen but I like the fact that you look forward to the MB&S sessions :)

Staying in bed till lunchtime, could be a new thing too, Kat if you usually up at the crack of dawn. Enjoy your day off, and remember you don’t have to pole dance to try something new :) Your options are countless. Have a great day!

kat said...

Getting up at the crack of dawn would be new. :-) I often don't get up until lunch time. ( I usually work in the afternoon or evenings)

Dakota said...

Oh, I had no idea, Kat :) Well, maybe you should have gotten up at the crack of dawn then ;)