Wednesday, July 11, 2007

There might be a lesson in there somewhere.

The other day I was talking with someone about the lousy autumn like weather we are having and then, out of the blue, she started talking about what a lousy life she was having at the moment. Actually, the whole first six months of this year were filled with tragedy, according to her. Now you must know, she is known for making a mountain out of a molehill, but this time around I actually felt for her.

In the beginning of the year her best friend suddenly died of an Aortic aneurysm. Only a month after that, one of her relatives died of a cancer related disease and just last week her brother (she lost her Mum and sister in the previous years) died of Esophageal cancer. And just when you think that’s enough tragedy for one person, her son got sick (a thing that comes and goes over the years) and she finds out that her daughter might have Hodgkin's disease. Well, I think it’s only fair to say that her life has been quite dreadful over the last six months.

We talked a little more and she told me how all these people passed away while their heads were still filled with all their hopes, plans and dreams and how they were never going to be able to fulfil them. She also told me how she had cancelled their holiday and was thinking about cancelling their wedding anniversary family trip later this year. Okay, I can imagine her not wanting to go on holiday right now, but I think they still should go on that family trip (if/when her daughter turns out to be just fine). Isn’t there a lesson to be learned from all that tragedy? Like: Life is too short and time is fleeting! Or: Carpe Diem quam minimum credula postero! Or: You should live your life to the fullest! Or: Memento mori! Or: eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die!
Okay enough of that, you get the point I am trying to make here. I hope she gets it too. I tried really hard to get the message across, but I still feel like she didn’t hear me.

Still, I hope the rest of the year will treat her a lot better and that she will be able to go on that trip. I really hope she is going to live a little.

7 comments:

Phil said...

Sad :`[

Reminds me of this:

http://doggasblog.blogspot.com/2006/05/take-hold-of-every-moment.html

Lord Hutton said...

"while their heads were still filled with all their hopes"
So sad
Do we all get that before we die? egad

Aoj and The Lurchers said...

I think sometimes it's difficult for the "survivor", for want of a better term, to allow themselves to think they might do something enjoyable. Guilt is a strong emotion and can stop you in your tracks and not let you see beyond what's immediately happening.

SO very sad for her.

b o o said...

my best wishes to your friend :-]

Dakota said...

Yeah, it’s very sad, DoGGa. I believe both stories relay the same lesson/wisdom.

Let’s open our eyes and learn…..

I don’t know, Lord Hutton, but I do hope that we can all realize most of our dreams, plans and hopes before the time comes.

I think you are right, Aoj and I can fully understand how she must feel right now, but I do hope it will pass. This lady always effaces herself and I think it is time she starts living a little.

I’ll pass them on, Boo

Anonymous said...

:( I'm really sorry for your friend to go through all that. How awful! I think she is probably so depressed now that even talking on the phone would take effort. That's good that she opened up to you. As depressed as she must feel, going on holiday will be hard to do, but I agree with you that she should try when they know if her daughter is able to go. I really hope her daughter is ok.

Dakota said...

I hope her daughter will be okay too, Krissa. They are still waiting on the final result :(