Sunday, July 22, 2007

Mind, Body & Soul Sessions (#40)

Boost your Mood

Are you unhappy, depressed, down or just in a bad mood? Don’t worry this too shall pass, it’s not like you are doomed to feel like this the rest of your life. Believe it or not, but the way you perceive things is a learned skill. Everyone can learn how to look at the world through more optimistic eyes. Over the next few weeks I will give you some tips which will hopefully improve your mood and make you feel more optimistic and upbeat.

Positive words change your focus from the negative to the positive.

I have said it before and I am going to say it again, to feel happier you have to act like a happy and optimistic person. If you don’t know where to start, the answer is simple…..observe, aka watch and learn because happy people act and talk in a certain way.

Depressed and negative people use a lot of negative statements and sentences which they keep repeating to themselves over and over again. As a result they end up in unwanted situations. They feel drained, even more depressed, negative or they just feel plain incompetent and hopeless. It is almost as if the reality they express is the reality they are going to get. Luckily this (like most) works both ways; it can either build or destroy you. Negative words create a negative world and positive words on the other hand create a positive reality. All in all, it is the way we use words, sentences and statements that determines whether they are going to build or destroy.

So, back to the happy and optimistic people and let’s find out what we can learn from them. For example, happy and optimistic people use certain words. Like I have said before, words people use can affect their mood. Negative words can drain you and get you even more depressed or negative. Positive and uplifting words on the other hand can improve your mood and give you more energy. They can actually change your whole attitude and the way you feel. I guess it is time to start using some cheerful and optimistic words instead of saddening and pessimistic words. Actually, I think it is time to start expressing what you do want, instead of expressing all the things you don’t want.

To get you started, here are some words and sentences (often used by negative people) to avoid:
- ‘I can’t’, ‘it is impossible’, ‘who am I kidding, I can’t do it’, ‘it can’t be done’, ‘I am not capable’, ‘I tried and failed in the past, so….’, ‘I am never going to…..’, ‘I will try’, ‘but’, ‘I feel swamped’, ‘I give up’ etc, etc.

In its place, use some of these sentences (often used by happy people):
- ‘I can’, ‘it is achievable’, ‘others can and so can I’, ‘I am able’, ‘I am not giving up’, ‘I can do it’, ‘I am up for the challenge’, ‘I will keep going’ etc, etc.

As you can see, there is a lot of difference between those two but if you think that is too much to start with then try this one on for size. Stop using the words ‘try’ and ‘but’. Two short and simple words but also very powerful. These two are able to make people feel hopeless and powerless. They are actually excuses and we don’t need them. Start feeling hopeful, take responsibility , watch what you say and never utter words like ‘try’ of ‘but’

Have a great Sunday!

Next week in MBSS: Tip six - Don't worry, be Happy!

6 comments:

Lord Hutton said...

Cheers, Dakkers! I'll try;-)

KJ's muse said...

A timely reminder. Thanks.

After an especially bad week last week, I've realized that I need to turn things around again. Two habits that I want to get back into to help me do that is to start each day by outlining what I'm grateful for, and by focusing on the good things that I want to see happen rather than concentrating on what isn't currently working. So, more or less what you said. ;)

And yes, the language we use can have a powerful impact!

b o o said...

love this, thanks. hope your sunday was nice hugss.

Dakota said...

LOL, Lord Hutton :D

My pleasure, KJ’s Muse and good luck with the change, I know how you love change ;)
Nah, just kidding! I think you are on the right track. If things aren’t working out right now, there is no sense in going, you just have to try and fix it! Focussing on the positive and all the things we do have always work wonders for me.

Good luck!

Aww…..thanks Boo
HUGS right back @ you

Phil said...

LOL @ Hutters: 'Dakkers' :]

I use all those negative ones about a billion times day :[]

Dakota said...

I know, so stop doing it and stop doing it now, DoGGa