Sunday, July 29, 2007

Mind, Body & Soul Sessions (#41)

Boost your Mood

Are you unhappy, depressed, down or just in a bad mood? Don’t worry this too shall pass, it’s not like you are doomed to feel like this the rest of your life. Believe it or not, but the way you perceive things is a learned skill. Everyone can learn how to look at the world through more optimistic eyes. Over the next few weeks I will give you some tips which will hopefully improve your mood and make you feel more optimistic and upbeat.

Don’t worry, be happy!

The quickest way to fill your life with more energy and continuous happiness is to stop worrying because worrying is the biggest happiness and energy killer. So, don’t worry, be happy is the advice I want to give you today. Not an easy task, I know, but here are a few tips that might help you:

  1. Write down all the things you are worried about. Imagine what the worst-case scenario could be by asking yourself this simple question “What is the worst thing that can possibly happen?” and write this down too.
  2. Now think about how you would act if the worst-case scenarios would become a reality. Prepare yourself mentally to accept the worst, if necessary.
  3. Take action and try to improve the worst-case scenario. Ask yourself “What can I change? What can I do to keep this from becoming reality?” Look at the things you can alter right now to have a feeling of control. Feeling in control reduces your worrying and focussing on a solution raises your energy level
  4. You will probably encounter a few worrying thoughts that you feel you can’t take any action on. Look at them, one by one. Is it realistic to worry about them, or are the thoughts unrealistic, distorted and exaggerated? Ask yourself “What are the odds this is ever going to happen at all?”
    Write down each of those unrealistic worrisome thoughts and try to come up with an alternative thought that is more realistic. Every time you catch yourself worrying, remind yourself of the alternative thought.
  5. Learn to accept what you cannot change or have no power to control in life. If you know a circumstance is beyond your power to change or modify, say to yourself: “This is how it is; it cannot be otherwise.” Move on!
  6. Stop yourself worrying about the same things over and over again. Come up with a solution or let it go! You can’t saw sawdust.
  7. Keep busy! Plenty of action is one of the best remedies; you won’t have time to think.
  8. Don’t fuss about the little things in life.
  9. Live by the day. Stop worrying about the past and don’t fret about the future. Live each day until bedtime and start a brand new day when you wake up!

Now, Don’t Worry, Be Happy!

and have a marvellous Sunday!

Next week in MBSS: Tip seven

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I am a constant worrier, have been since I was a little kid. I am a little better lately, but I'll try to use these hints. It would be nice to "don't worry, be happy". :)

Lord Hutton said...

Cheers. Maybe I wont get found out after all;-)

Phil said...

Very true - It's very easy to worry about the smallest things and I'm an expert on that :]

I love the video! Plenty of houndage and I sent my sister the one of the dog in the dishwasher licking the plates and she was repulsed LOL. I thought that was a great enviromentally friendly pre-wash system myself! :0)

Dakota said...

When you worry less, you will feel a lot happier soon (If that’s possible, you look pretty happy to me), Krissa :-) Oh and more energized too btw. Worrying decreases your energy levels a lot and that is a real shame. Think of all the fun things you could do with all that spare energy……
Good luck and go on live a little (more) “don’t worry, be happy!”

Ehmmm…. What can I say, Lord Hutton……..;)

One day I am going to get a diploma made specially for you, DoGGa. You’re an expert in so many (depression related) fields ;-)

I love the video too. At first I was going to post the original one, but I like this one even better, it really made me laugh (even though I had seen most of pictures they used elsewhere).
I am really surprised your sis’ didn’t like the eco-friendly dishwasher/dog idea. It’ll save a lot of water and energy; you can skip the whole pre-wash cycle. Maybe I should get a small doggy…………….

b o o said...

those dog pics were totally for DoGGa :)

hope your sunday was nice hugss

Dakota said...

Do you think, Boo? :-)

My Sunday was quite nice, not as nice as planned, but still nice! Thanks for asking. HUGS right back @ you!